Thinking about taking DAS

Spartan 969
This post is 3367 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

After several long hard months of saving, I am only a few bob short of affording my DAS.

However, I'm not sure how I should go about it as I haven't road over winter and some pillock ran over my bike while it was parked up (pannier rack saved bike from any major damage) and I won't have my bike back for a few weeks.

I know I need more practice (slow speed), and to do my theory test but I don't know any bikers who ride any more to go out with to point out mistakes and what not.

Should I go straight to an instructor and do a 5 day course, including mod 1 and 2, or would having lessons be the better option?
I can't afford to fail, money is fairly tight so I want to make the best decision possible.

Cheers

Spartan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Get your theory test done and dusted - best to have that out the way.

As for the mods?

There's honestly no hurry, I'd say. If you're bikeless for now - and don't plan to get a bigger bike any time very soon, hold off until you've got all the cash you need, with a little extra to be safe.

But, could easily go to a local instruction place, see what your options are. It also depends how much you rode before the pillock incident.

My sons partner has just past her DAS never ridden a bike in her life before she took lessons, and did not have a bike to practice on in between lessons, though she has driven a car for 10 years or so. Past her DAS last week with only one minor. Now the proud rider of a SV650. So if your in no hurry take lessons practice what you learn between lessons and enjoy you will find the test should become a breeze. Oh good luck

As above, no need to rush. The advice about doing the theory test first is good. Get your bike on the road and get some practice back in, esp as the weather picks up. Once your in the swing of things it might be best to speak to a local instructor. If you've been riding a while you might not need too many lessons.

Thanks for the replies folks.

I think I'll be doing my theory within the next two months, I've been practicing it for a while so I should do ok on that, just want more practice with the hazard perception.

Lessons and practice between seems like a good idea, when I have the bike back I'll ride about for a few weeks and then find me a new trainer (local one closed down) and have an assessment to get an idea of my riding ability. The one thing I know I need lots of practice on, is slow speed stuff.

The past year I have rarely seen traffic as my route to work was all country roads and small towns/villages. I went back to education full time to retrain for a career change and my route goes through the outskirts of Derby. The mornings are often at a stand still, much more traffic than I am used too. My slow speed has improved in these conditions but I know it still needs more work.

Cheers

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online