2007 Triumph Speedmaster

Noise
This post is 3419 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys and gals,

Well its not a yam but im having some strange issues with my mates 2007 Speedmaster (carbs) and was wondering if you had any ideas?

Quick story to set the scene;

My journey to work is 12 miles there then 14 miles home (different route home) he went away on board ship on manouvors and left me his bike to do a full service simples.

He bought the full kit off ebay and all of the kit was genuine Triumph parts except the air filter was the wrong size so i had to keep his original one in the bike but thankfully it was still nice and clean with minimal dirt in it.

I took it out for a ride to warm her up ready to drain the oil and she rode great and i actually fell in love with in.

But her is where the issues started,

After the service i took her for a ride to Taunton which is a good 38 - 40miles from home and about 10 ish miles in she dropped down to one cylinder then fired back up again? this happened three time on the way there and about 5 times coming home, i even stopped off in two laybys to see if she would "fix" her self but sadly not.

Now last night i too out the right hand spark plug (the offending cylinder) and the gap was far too small which i admit was my fault for not checking to start with. So this morning i rode her to work and got about 10 miles into the ride with only a short bit to go to get to work i had to stop at a set of traffic lights and she ran great up till then and i thought that was the problem sorted, but i was wrong :(

She didn't drop to one cylinder but when i went to pull away from tick over she was spluttering and hesitating like they do when running out of fuel (i filled her up on my way in) but then once she got to 2k RPM she was riding fine again. Then when i had to turn right into work and she dropped below 2000 RPM she coughed and spluttered lost power then picked up again once above 2k?

I've re-checked the gaps on both spark plugs which are fine and the HT leads are connecting great.

Its seams a tad strange that after a basic service of oil, oil filter and spark plug that she's running like a bag of shite.

Any ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Check the ceramic around the plug electrode. A small crack could allow the spark to 'leak out'.

Thought you was going to say that but sadly they are in the bin :eusa_whistle::eusa_doh:

Check the ceramic around the plug electrode. A small crack could allow the spark to 'leak out'.

Yer they are fine on that front OB, no cracks or nowt

There are lots of fake spark plugs around. I would pop to halfords and get some new ones. Correctly gapped before I used them. I am guessing isn't wasn't damp enough (rain spray) to short a plug out?

Well it was / still is raining but very light rain.

When it first happened riding to Taunton it was a nice dry crisp winters morning so my initial thoughts could have been carb freeze but they are so close to the engine and tucked away i ruled it out.

I think your rights with the fake spark plugs as before it happened he had iridiums in and now he bought NGK in "Genuine Triumph parts box" the trouble has started.

i'd drain the carb bowls too and see what comes out.

does sound like crud in the slow jets if 2k+ is ok.

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

Just an up date,

I changed the spark plugs for brand new Iridium ones from Halfrauds last night and she's running like new, no bogging down and runs on both barrels.

When i first read the thread on fake spark plugs i though it was a bit of tosh but i can now say that there is some logic behind it and i guess it does happen. Be very warey about buy them on line as you could end up having a bike thats dangerous to ride in the sence that half way round a round about you could either have on barrel go out or even the whole lot cut out all together.

Stay safe

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online