Helpppp, Wiring

hadley8899
This post is 3539 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello im having a little trouble with my rectifier, Most likely my bodged up wiring lol

Basically im here to ask on the Dtr125 loom you have 3 power wires coming from stator (Am i wrong ?) Yellow/Red, Black and White

Yellow/Red for the lights after rectification

White for i assume just general power (like battery charing)

and this is the one im confused about the Black. Why is the black connected to a live ? Isnt in an earth ?

Im having problems with my lights. The bulbs keep going pop

Normally i wouldnt ask about the black but what ive done is put the DT125re engine to a DTr125 loom and have done as follows

(all 3 power cables on DT125re engine are white(Am i wrong ?))

White -- Yellow/red

White -- Black ???????????????

White -- White

All the other cables are fine and bike runs sweet as a nut so not a worry there its just the power side of things

Also does the DTr125 rectifer need to be earth to the frame ? as in the body of it bolted to earth ? or is the strangely black live wire earthing it ?

Also please note that if i disconnect the black from the white i get no power to lights at all

Any insight to what i have done stupidly wrong is much appreciated

Cheers

Ryan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

dtr125Wring_zpsaf9fc925.png

Here is a very crude drawing of the 2 original looms to the best of my knowledge.

Im just extremly confused as to why there is a live wire connected to the black ?

Bare in mind the top one (DT125RE) all of the lights are powered from the battery)

And in the DTR125 loom they are powered from the yellow and red

Cheers

Sounds to me like your using the wrong vr or it's gone how many volts are you getting at the lights? battery?

Hello, Ive sorted it now. i had the new style rectifier so i went balls out and just wired that up properly then put the main light supply wire(yellow/red) straight to an ignition live. I suppose the only thing ive actually altered from the new style loom is the fact i dont have a headlight relay which they seem to have. So far so good none of my bulbs have popped as of yet. So its MOT time next week :)

Just to answer your questions i was getting around 14v at battery revved up and i was getting about 4v DC at bulbs :S very confusing. It very well could have been a blown rectifier or the fact that the earth had a live and there was no way for the bulbs to earth and they had a positive either side.

Either way after the hours of working it all out, I couldnt understand the whole live to black thing i had going(Nothing at all worked without it) So i just went balls out.

Suppose its a good thing because i now have lights while engines off lol

I hope this isnt going to cause any problems for any reason

Cheers

Ryan