Thunderace stalling???????

hirstyboy
This post is 3578 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, new to this and have a issue that's driving me mad!!!

When my ace gets hot it stalls when I come to a stop say traffic lights, junctions etc. runs like a dream on the open road, amazing power everything you'd expect from these.

If I have my lights on fans kick in it's worse, as if any drain on it makes it stall. It fried a battery too.

I'm under the impression it's the reg/rec which on mine as it's an early 96 is under the front cover of the generator.

I even had it at a main dealer look at it and they said they couldn't find anything either, although they sorted a few issues that made it better but still not right.

I got a 2nd hand generator and exact the same. It's had new coils/plugs/starter solenoid/ electrical connectors have been taken apart and cleaned. All still the same. I've seen you can get genuine replacements of the regulator which look like they connect under the generator cover for around £140 off eBay.

I love the bike and really like to get to the bottom of this, anyone suffered similar issues/probs and any advice would be much much appreciated.

Jon.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The bikes just done 31k and when at the dealers they did a compression test and said it was fine, I know these are due valve clearence at 24k, could it really be that why it's stalling?????

Jon

Valve clearances and worn emulsion tubes in the carbs.

So could it have nothing to do with reg/rec????

Thing is carbs have been balanced twice since December, as I said previously it runs like a dream on the open road.

Thing is I don't want to keep throwing money at it.

Cheers

Tappets need re-setting

The bikes just done 31k and when at the dealers they did a compression test and said it was fine, I know these are due valve clearence at 24k, could it really be that why it's stalling?????

Jon

So could it have nothing to do with reg/rec????

Thing is carbs have been balanced twice since December, as I said previously it runs like a dream on the open road.

Thing is I don't want to keep throwing money at it.

Cheers

On the road, at speed, these issues are masked.

I can understand why dealers might use a compression test to see if the valves are sealing properly, but I am not convinced it paints the correct story, the proper way is check each valve to bucket gap and this is why Yamaha specify this measurement.

I am not saying the reg/rec is good (some voltages and load testing will easily show this), but these bikes are prone to running issues related to knacked carb tubes and valves not sealing - and they run like an absolute pig, at low speed especially, when they are both out.

To see if the emulsion tubes are shot, try starting from cold with no choke; if it starts it's 90% they are gone and 10% the choke mechanism is sticky or the seals are blown.

On the road, at speed, these issues are masked.

I can understand why dealers might use a compression test to see if the valves are sealing properly, but I am not convinced it paints the correct story, the proper way is check each valve to bucket gap and this is why Yamaha specify this measurement.

I am not saying the reg/rec is good (some voltages and load testing will easily show this), but these bikes are prone to running issues related to knacked carb tubes and valves not sealing - and they run like an absolute pig, at low speed especially, when they are both out.

To see if the emulsion tubes are shot, try starting from cold with no choke; if it starts it's 90% they are gone and 10% the choke mechanism is sticky or the seals are blown.

Hi, obviously the bike is overdue the valve clearencing done some I'll get that booked in. Ill price some emulsion tubes up too to get them.

Are there any up rated items I could go for, reg/rec, emulsion tubes to help this from happening again???

Any advice in general ref the whole bike would be great.

Cheers.

Hi, obviously the bike is overdue the valve clearencing done some I'll get that booked in. Ill price some emulsion tubes up too to get them.

Are there any up rated items I could go for, reg/rec, emulsion tubes to help this from happening again???

Any advice in general ref the whole bike would be great.

Cheers.

Valve clearances won't be cheap - it's quite labour intensive and get's spendy if shims need replacement. You might find an independent mechanic who will do it, but it may be better to get a workshop manual and do it yourself or with competent aquaintances.

As far as I know, a big issue with the Ace is that the tubes cannot be replaced - which is why so many Aces change hands on a frequent basis and why so many run really badly. Sadly on the Ace and on late TDM850s, Mikuni interference fitted the tubes and you just can't remove them, if you could get them out, places such as allensperformance.co.uk don't supply replacements. If dynojet do a kit, you might be able to fit that, but dynojet kits are stupidly rich too.

If you source a truly low mileage, known set of carbs, that may be an option, but you'll need to set the float heights carefully and give them a thorough and precise once over (ignore twats who say ultrasonic cleaning will fix them, it'll help but won't cure these issues).

Overall they are great bikes, but these flaws really let them down.

Probably not what you want to read, but there it is. Google exup 1000 for a forum that knows these things inside out.