Xj6n help/advice

shaun_1990
This post is 3612 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys thanks for looking, I'm hoping someone can help me or tell me that I am being paranoid and to man up any would be good :L

Right, my engine seems really loud (I'm sure there will be jokes) but I mean rattles.. But the oil is okay, it also sounds quite loud from where the cat is which sounds like the engine rattle so I'm guessing sound travel from the cat. (Oil level is also ok)

The bike recently had its M.O.T. And passed fine with no issues, same with the exhaust emissions. Does anyone else have any ideas?

The bike also gets hot very quick to, especially if sat idling, coolant is all topped up & everything works fine. But it's hitting 100 then the fan will kick in as normal, not noticed before that it got hot quick.

Sorry if this is a little confusing and vague thanks for any help or any comments of man up :)

Shaun

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Try running the bike in neutral and just pull the clutch in and see if that makes it a little less noisy if it does then it's just your standard Yamaha clutch slap that really it should not do but they all do anyway. If it's not that then try listening at the top of the engine and see if is rattling around the cam area, if that's where it's coming from then you need to adjust the cams or replace/adjust the cam chain. :jossun:

PS can't remember if you have an auto cam adjust or manual on your bike so look in the book to see what it has.

Cheers slice I will have a look tomorrow as soon as I can do will get back to you :)

It does sound more like from the exhaust and the cat having a rattle

Ok then that's where you should start, don't do stuff that's not going to fix the problem your just wasting time doing that, try taking the CAT off and see if there is anything inside that might be causing the problem, perhaps one of the baffles or whatever has come adrift inside and you can bash it into silence or even bung something inside to stop the rattle. :jossun:

Have you had a recent oil change? I put 0W in the first XJ6 I had and the timing chain clearly didn't like it. Noises can be quite subjective, but the XJ6 is a quiet machine, so maybe the catalyst matrix has collapsed (knock the bloody thing out, if it has).

btw they don't test emissions during a bike MOT (unless visually the bike is smoking badly, not 2Ts).

• Like 1

Ok then that's where you should start, don't do stuff that's not going to fix the problem your just wasting time doing that, try taking the CAT off and see if there is anything inside that might be causing the problem, perhaps one of the baffles or whatever has come adrift inside and you can bash it into silence or even bung something inside to stop the rattle. :jossun:

Not able to look today but soon as get chance I will do. I did think some baffles possibly but I shall find out soon enough.

Have you had a recent oil change? I put 0W in the first XJ6 I had and the timing chain clearly didn't like it. Noises can be quite subjective, but the XJ6 is a quiet machine, so maybe the catalyst matrix has collapsed (knock the bloody thing out, if it has).

btw they don't test emissions during a bike MOT (unless visually the bike is smoking badly, not 2Ts).

About 1k miles ago had a change by the Suzuki dealer when I got the bike, I did not know that but I had seen bike near the emissions tester on mot maybe checking something else I guess.

Cheers for the replies guys

Shaun

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online