Be careful of Compression Stabilizer with carbs

mcferreira100
This post is 3640 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Very upset now. It was recommended by a 2stroke expert I should use this stuff to clean the carbs. Been cleaning nicely so far..really gets the gunk out nicely....until I left it a little long in here. As you can see its gone and sealed the hole...almost looks welded shut. The tube was also blocked but a piece of wire and compressed air down there got the gunk out. But this other hole seems well sealed. Some head scratching required here. After some internet research on this stuff I see people use it to clear carbon out of engines as well.

just don`t leave it in there too long..it starts bubbling immediately on contact.

carbfampup_zps5978cec5.jpeg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Is this one of the floatbowls of the 350LC ? If so don't worry one of the floatbowls is blocked off like this. The one that is blocked off as in your photo goes on the RH side carb and the one with the hole goes on the LH side carb (choke side). If you get them mixed up you will find you will have trouble starting the bike cold with the choke on as the fuel is drawn up from the LH float bowl then transfered to the RH carb via the rubber link pipe between the carbs.

Tony

Have to say Mc that if it bubbles when in contact with the metal that usually means the metal is melting !!! I would use something a little less destructive.

Yep its the 350LC`s carb.

You`re right YPVS..this is the right hand carb (well spotted)..choke is on the other one.

So you saying this blocked hole won`t effect anything..I can leave it?

Yeah..careful of bubbles..think its ok as long as you blow the stuff out pretty quick. Does good job though..you can imagine how these these bowls looked after 20 years standing and you can see the result.

Yes the floatbowl on the RH carb should be blocked off as it is in your photo. The choke works by only drawing fuel from the LH floatbowl then it is transfered to the RH carb via the rubber link pipe between the carbs.

Tony

• Like 1

This is what a forum is all about. Imagine poor old Mc drilling and filling that carb cos he thought he had buggered it !!! Well spotted Tony, that's your "GOLD STAR" earned this week mate. :hail:

YPVS...I can`t for the life of me remember if that hole was closed when i opened that carb..are you saying its supposed to be that way from the factory?..if that`s the case my whole thread here seems pretty stupid..and compression stabilizer not as destructive as I thought.

This will teach me to take more pics when stripping.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online