Piston Rings

Cervantes
This post is 6273 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm doing a complete rebuild of an old xs250 (81) i got most things done and finally got hold of a complete gasket set but i can't find anywhere that sell piston rings so my question is is it possible to refit the original rings and will they be ok?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm doing a complete rebuild of an old xs250 (81) i got most things done and finally got hold of a complete gasket set but i can't find anywhere that sell piston rings so my question is is it possible to refit the original rings and will they be ok?

Evilbay has loads.

You are best to at least get the bores honed (45' crosshatch)and new rings, but you need to measure the bores first(i'd get your local machine shop to do that accuratley) to determine any wear.

try www.Motoward.co.uk give them a call on 01403 824222 they have computerised OEM stock and are really helpful, and suprisingly cheaper than evilbay on some items

motolink @ www.yamahaspares.uk.com

if you are looking for any 2nd hand spares i have a 250 engine partially stripped in my shed

• 2 weeks later...

Evilbay has loads.

You are best to at least get the bores honed (45' crosshatch)and new rings, but you need to measure the bores first(i'd get your local machine shop to do that accuratley) to determine any wear.

try www.Motoward.co.uk give them a call on 01403 824222 they have computerised OEM stock and are really helpful, and suprisingly cheaper than evilbay on some items

motolink @ www.yamahaspares.uk.com

if you are looking for any 2nd hand spares i have a 250 engine partially stripped in my shed

so it's not possible for me to just put the rings back on the pistons? i checked the bore and rings and both were spotless when they were removed i was surprised when i removed them from the bore i was expecting them to either be destroyed or broken but they look like new the bore is clean with no marks on the inside at all, again it looks very tidy. i have a price on a set of new rings £50 that seems very steep i paid that much for the bike and if i can help i dont want to pay that for a simple set of rings. i am hoping to sell this thing and make a small profit to put towards another bike.

so it's not possible for me to just put the rings back on the pistons? i checked the bore and rings and both were spotless when they were removed i was surprised when i removed them from the bore i was expecting them to either be destroyed or broken but they look like new the bore is clean with no marks on the inside at all, again it looks very tidy. i have a price on a set of new rings £50 that seems very steep i paid that much for the bike and if i can help i dont want to pay that for a simple set of rings. i am hoping to sell this thing and make a small profit to put towards another bike.

if your selling the bike, put the old rings back in. Making sure you haven't mixed them up in the first place ;)

• 1 year later...