Slice, you were right!

mailee
This post is 3610 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well after your comment on my panniers being close to the new exhaust on my bike I didn't heed the warning! I know I should have had a closer inspection but on a long trip yesterday it did burn through the bottom of the pannier! The first I knew of it was a loud bang while doing 70 on the M11! Gave me a bit of a shock and after finding somewhere to stop it had burnt the bottom of the pannier out and left most of the straps i had in there hanging out the bottom! As for the loud bang, I had a puncture repair kit in there with co2 cartridges and one of them had gone off! putting a golf ball sized dent in the silencer! i count myself lucky it didn't do any more damage. On the way down while doing 60MPH I had an assisted suicide with a crow on my handle bars! no damage there but the crow looked a bit the worse for wear in the rear view mirror! Other than that it was a wonderful day out and a great ride covering over 320 miles. I now need a new set of panniers and I have learned a lesson.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sorry to hear that Mailee but being a avid hater of the pannier im also glad thats another set off the road, but just like hydra you cut the head off and two more will take its place :biglaugha:

Maybe with your next set if they are still too close to your pipes you could stick a strip of this stuff on the bottom of the panniers or on the inside to keep your stuff cool and away from the heat

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/5269876403759205636?q=heat+reflective+tape&safe=active&sqi=2&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.66917471,d.d2k,pv.xjs.s.en_US.iZDr9Av0tZE.O&biw=1280&bih=894&tch=1&ech=1&psi=yaF5U6u7N8P20gXi4YHYCg.1400480203596.3&ei=5qF5U5OdMojtOu6agbgK&ved=0CGYQpiswAQ

AH shit mate !! Sorry to hear that and I apologise for being a smartarse know it all !! :shakeno:

Nah, no problem Slice. It was my own fault for not paying more attention to them. Thought I would post it up as it may save anyone else doing this. My main concern was how much damage the small co2 canister did to the silencer!

Yeah those little bastards pack a real wallop when they go off, seen some thrown in a fire in the past and they will take your head off if you get in the way. Still you will be looking for a new set of panniers and an exhaust !! :shakeno:

• 4 weeks later...

That was really luck mate. I had a rear indicator come off, spin round the rear wheel and end up embedded in the engine. I too heard a loud bang, and couldn't work out what it was until I got back home and wondered why there was a refelctor in the engine. Luckily it was a shaft drive bike so no chain but it could have worked out pretty bad.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online