No Electrics what so ever but bike still runs fine ( DT 175)

dCm
This post is 3653 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all

New to this place. Been having a look around a lot of very helpful topics and advice. Thanks to all concerned.

Anyways got a dt 175 1999 maybe. everything was running well without a battery installed. All the lights etc worked fine. One day I started the bike and switched the lights on. noticed the high beam light indicator was on but no head light working , stopped and started and now no electrics work at all but the bike runs fine.

Checked all the connections are connected barring the battery cause it aint present. any help will be highly appreciated. I tried searching for a similar topic for quiet sometime with no luck. if there are direct me if you could be so kind.

many thanks m

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You should say hello in the new members area first. So many people do the, 'Hi new here, my problem is' then never return makes replies unlikely.

The forum isnt a fixit service, just a bunch of people into bikes. Bit of banter and bike chat.

As to your issue, bike has an indipendant ig system, therefore will run fine. The voltage reg has prob failed and blown everything with 20+ volts.

hi cynic thanks for the reply and explaining the workings of this site. will def go to the new members portal.

I have no intention of posting and running. took me a while to find a note worthy site and join as a member.

ill check today sometime. seems to make sense bout the bulbs blowing but would every single bulb have popped? so one would assume not running any lights without the battery to be on the safe side?

ill report any findings. I sux at electrics though so it might take sometime.

ok ill have to google that and check . my father in law is a horder of note so I should find something of that nature. once google doctor has explained it :eusa_doh:

My regulator failed on my 175, thats a 6v bike and made over 15v . If your running a healthy set of coils your capable of well over 20.

I blew dash bulbs and headlight. You may have an earth issue, or a problem with the ig switch. All the generated electric runs through that.

thanks guys. ive got the battery that was in the bike. took it in n tested it ... needs to be replaced but in the mean time should I reconnect the " dead " battery once ive figured out the lighting issue in

the hope that the battery even though dead will still act as you put it as a sinker and absorb voltage spikes or would connecting up a "dead" battery do more harm than good?

ok ill get a replacement asap just to ensure . thanks

just pulled all the bulbs and every single one is fried. so before replacing them am I better off getting a new battery to give the system a fall back?

Def... You should also look at a replacement voltage regulator. Think it in the same place as mine.

RHS sat on the bike, near the carb intake rubber bolted to the frame with a yellow wire to it. Little silver thing, about the size of a matchbox.

With a fried battery and bulbs if this isnt at least mildly fubar I would be very much surprised, (its most likely the cause).

I was admiring that silver thing yesterday pondering its role. is there anyway of checking its " health " or are they just worth replacing? the bike has had a rather hard life

judging by the odo reading 47 000 km / 29 204 miles and prior to getting here going quiet a few wires seemed to have suffered heat wear and had broken under the petrol tank.

Fraid not, unless you have a good understanding of electronics. Easist is to test by sustitution.

Its chances of being fine in this instance are pretty slim. Just check your charging voltage when you get the new battery. My money is on it being way high. Proof the regulator is toast.

ok will do ... wont waste my time checking it ... I got an ' e ' for science and that was many moons ago ... things have only got worse since :crazy:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online