My OCD is kicking in - Looking for tires/cant decide

philmorley
This post is 3698 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for dual sport tires to fit my 1974 Yamaha DT175A. After much research and internetting, I have come across several sites that offer good tires at decent prices... My OCD is starting to kick in and I cant decide on which tires to get and I'm starting to question whether I am looking at the correct ones or not...

My tire sizes are as follows:

Front: 3.00x 19

Rear: 3.50x 18

Before I pull the trigger and buy the "wrong" tires, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as to what will fit on these rim sizes. I have read some mixed opinions on putting smaller/larger width tires on my rims and don't want to spend the money until I know for sure.

Any advice is appreciated!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

On a dt175 bigger or smaller tyres will make bugger all difference.

The more important question is what you will want from the bike.

Mud plugger, road commute, period correct classic. Thats is the question to answer.

I like the period trials tyres, :yeah: i had a 400.x18 on the rear of my DT125C, it looked good and handled well.

I find the cats paw type a lumpy ride,,,

Size is meaningless, I have tried bigger tyres on mine and all it causes is problems. Either with mud clearance or grip, just because a tyre is bigger doesent make it better.

Tyre width affects wet behaviour and steering dramatically. For 70/30 and reputable trail tyre will be fine. From experience these bikes on dirt behave better with an aggressive front tyre and and ordinary rear that you can keep spinning. But for 70/30 road dirt that will compromise your road riding too much.

I have bridgestone trail wings on my dt (now discontinued I think) but there are plenty of comparable tyres. I have ridden through everything on them from work to being engine deep in fords.

The nut holding the bars makes the biggest difference.

• Like 2