1982 DT 100 Enduro - Won't start!

setthedrag
This post is 3694 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello guys, my first post on your site!

My Yamaha was running fine, a little hard to start but not bad. I decided I should clean the carb, gas tank and petcock. Put everything back together (correctly as far as I can tell) and now it won't start at all.New fuel, petcock clean and allowing fuel through. Inline fuel filter clean, carb getting fuel, floats working, good spark on spark plug, no oil light on. Ignition in on position with key in it.

I am at a loss. Any thoughts or recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated.

Dave

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey guys,

The plug was virtually brand new. I even replaced it with a new one while testing. The spark was very strong. In fact, I was surprised at the size of the blue spark that came off the spark plug. Visible in day light.

Tommy xs,

When you say 'kill switch' do you simply mean the handlebar on/off switch? It is in the run position. On this bike it has three settings: two settings to kill the motor and one for run... Please let me know if that is not the kill switch.

Then you didnt get the carb right. pour a tea spoon full of gas down the spark plug hole and pop the plug back in and see if it will start.

And tommy was refereing to the same switch

I bet the slide is in backwards and it will rev to the moon when it fires up.

Yip " and the choke system needs attention, if youve got good spark, it be fuel . -or lack of compression

I will try the teaspoon of fuel idea tonight and let you know.

I am no expert at cleaning the carb and I have been suspect that I missed something putting it back together this round.

dt502001 When you mention 'Slide is in backwards' is that one of the parts on the carb?
BlackHat250 The choke has always been a bit strange to me on this bike..sometimes like it isn't doing anything! When you say needs attention do you mean cleaning it/replacing it etc?
THANKS GUYS. Please let me know about the SLIDE/CHOKE.

Slide be round part that moves up and down with the cable if in backwards then it dosent close=too much air to start.Pop the carb back off and make sure it goes all the way to the bottom.

The choke has always been a bit strange to me on this bike..sometimes like it isn't doing anything!

When engine is warm. if choke is pulled on ,it floods the engine, remove the plunger, it unscrews check the rubber face.and blast down the hole.[ carb cleaner,

Good evening,

I tried everyone's advice. It was helpful. I also bypassed the in-line fuel filter and added the air-filter/box back onto the carb, Cleaned the carb as well as I possibly could, cleaned spark plug and after putting everything back together two kicks and she was running again.

Thanks again to all for your input. Very pleased that the Yamaha is running again!