Rusty wheels

steph g
This post is 3701 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey All.
Being an all year / all weather rider my bike is pretty much dirt encrusted all the time.
I clean it then a week later it's back to being a dirt ball.

This doesn't bother me at all but my front wheel rim is constantly getting rusted.
I've cleaned it back and ACF50'd it to an inch of it's life and 2 weeks later the rust has returned.
I can't afford to get it (and the spokes) re-chromed though.
I also tried a clear paint, WD40 Hammerited rust gel and more but they were crap from the word go.
It's kept in a bike barn overnight and I try to wipe it down but it's not the easiest thing when the rain is still hammering down as you park up for the night.

Any suggestions?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have the same problem. The weather doesn't help! I can't seem to get it of and I'm not a massive fan of the chrome anyways. Have you thought about getting it powder coated or painted? Don't even know if that would even be cheaper than re-chroming.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

I'm with Grum on this, your best bet is to get it painted as at least it will keep the rust away for longer, you could get it clear coated I suppose but don't know how long that would last. Chrome wheels have always been a pain in the bum, someone on here used a spray on chrome paint a while back that looked quite good and it polished up to a sort of hard chrome look sort of duller than the shiny stuff but reasonable when you think it came out of a tin !!

I would suggest getting them powder coated, much tougher than paint and lasts/looks better than Chrome. I had a quote to have mine done at my local powder coater for £120 for both front and rear. then at Talon they quoted me £250 for stainless steel spokes, fitting and trueing up. so for £360 you will never ever have rusty wheels again!

O and i know how to spoke the xvs wheel so if you wanna save money then im happy to do the spokes for you and then its just a case of paying Talon £20 to true it up.

Can you paint the wheels without removing them? Is this a short term gain with long term pain?

Daft question but still a beginer

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online