which bike trousers

meatloaf
This post is 3801 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

4 basic types:1) anything not bike specific. This includes jeans, skiwear, ppe type stuff and mankinis. To be avoided as they don't offer any abrasive protection. The only exception is waterproof over trousers providing you wear proper biking trousers underneath.2) leather - with or without tassels. Traditional and can be good. Watch out for buffalo, and other animal skins which are not cow hide. Also look for the thickness of the leather, knee/hip protection and stitching as the quality of these varies tremendously. Not waterproof, cold, and can be quite gay (some people might say). Good quality with knee and hips inserts are probably the best protection you can get. Horrible to put on wet or on a hot day when your legs are sweaty. 3) textile including goretex and cordura. Mainly waterproof, for a while anyway but will end up leaking around the crutch at some point. High end gives good protection and normally a zip in liner for cold days. More give than leather and most have the ability to incorporate knee and hip pads. 4 Kevlar jeans. Again, quality counts. Varying degrees of quality coverage of the actual Kevlar. Not waterproof but better if you are walking or not riding for all of the day. Not as many funny looks from non bikers, especially compared to wearing too tight leather tassel trousers or an all in one power ranger come leather onesie race suit.Personally cordura for most of the time and Kevlar jeans for camping or summer day riding. Hood for jeans and RST for cordura would be a good start for me. Always with body armour inserts.Lots of very cheap Asian stuff about which is dubious quality. It doesn't matter how thick the item is if it isn't properly stitched with the correct thread. It will just come apart at the seams.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks DirtyDT For all that info, looks like its got to be cordura or gortex for me.

4 basic types:1) anything not bike specific. This includes jeans, skiwear, ppe type stuff and mankinis. To be avoided as they don't offer any abrasive protection. The only exception is waterproof over trousers providing you wear proper biking trousers underneath.2) leather - with or without tassels. Traditional and can be good. Watch out for buffalo, and other animal skins which are not cow hide. Also look for the thickness of the leather, knee/hip protection and stitching as the quality of these varies tremendously. Not waterproof, cold, and can be quite gay (some people might say). Good quality with knee and hips inserts are probably the best protection you can get. Horrible to put on wet or on a hot day when your legs are sweaty. 3) textile including goretex and cordura. Mainly waterproof, for a while anyway but will end up leaking around the crutch at some point. High end gives good protection and normally a zip in liner for cold days. More give than leather and most have the ability to incorporate knee and hip pads. 4 Kevlar jeans. Again, quality counts. Varying degrees of quality coverage of the actual Kevlar. Not waterproof but better if you are walking or not riding for all of the day. Not as many funny looks from non bikers, especially compared to wearing too tight leather tassel trousers or an all in one power ranger come leather onesie race suit.Personally cordura for most of the time and Kevlar jeans for camping or summer day riding. Hood for jeans and RST for cordura would be a good start for me. Always with body armour inserts.Lots of very cheap Asian stuff about which is dubious quality. It doesn't matter how thick the item is if it isn't properly stitched with the correct thread. It will just come apart at the seams.

Thanks for the detailed reply, it looks like option 3 for me and will look into RST.

Thanks DirtyDT For all that info, looks like its got to be cordura or gortex for me.

Thanks for the detailed reply, it looks like option 3 for me and will look into RST.

I guess that's one way to bump up your post count :icon_wink:

No problems.

• Like 1

....or the device he use have problems with this forum :P

I use Hein Gericke gears and i`m very happy with them. last time I buy a jacket RTP 240 pounds with just 100 pounds. somebody say they has problems and I guess they sell the stock at low price.

ex: http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/clothing/motorcyle-clothing/hein-gericke-vista-sheltexr-jacke-neongelb.html

....or the device he use have problems with this forum :P

I use Hein Gericke gears and i`m very happy with them. last time I buy a jacket RTP 240 pounds with just 100 pounds. somebody say they has problems and I guess they sell the stock at low price.

ex: http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/clothing/motorcyle-clothing/hein-gericke-vista-sheltexr-jacke-neongelb.html

sorry guys, I guess an old fart like me shouldn't be trying to use one of new fangled hand held thingies, I'ii just have to go back to my trusty old PC where my big fat fingers are not to big for the keyboard

+1 on Hein Gericke. Avoid any with metal plating on the knees or you'll scratch your tank.

Not much help, because I'm a girl, but I got mine from J&S for under £80 (Girls Ride 2 - only brand I could get to fit comfortably) and they fair very well. Granted I haven't tested them out too much, but I've been out when it's hovering above freezing on the dual carriage way and they kept me fairly warm. I did opt for some thermals to go underneath, but I was very impressed for the price I paid. They also faired well when I went down on my bike.

Best advice I can add is just to try on as many brands on as possible, and choose the ones that you feel most comfortable in and wont compromise your riding position. I tried a variety of trousers on, some that were edging towards a higher price bracket (actually out of my budget, but thought I'd try them anyway) and they were nowhere near as comfy as the ones I finally got.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online