Most Horrific Tale...

YamaHead
This post is 6672 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

After having been a daily year-round rider for 20 years.......I can think of a couple! :huh:

But the one that stands out the most is when I was riding this beast 1 morning on the way to work.....

MySeca.jpg

...it was about 4:30 AM, & I had her singin' @ about a Buck & a quarter.....on an undisturbed stretch of freeway....& then everything started to shake so violently that the bike felt like it was coming apart @ the seams! :o .....

Got to work & found out I had just rode through an EARTHQUAKE @ 3-digit speeds! :blink:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

that must have been an eye opener scott! never really had any real bad experiences on a bike, although i ride a suzuki every day so that's a bad experience in itself! :lol: any of you lot had any scary things happen on a bike?

Many (many!) moons ago when I was but a lad...

Actually it was my own fault but when you are young you don't have the experience to look ahead. I had friends who lived about 5 miles away along a main road, about half the distance being dual carriageway, and was heading home quite late on a cold night on the RD400. The dual carriageway (thank God that it was) climbed steadily with fairly easy bends in it for a couple of miles and I was doing about 80 near the top of the climb when I realised that I wasn't really in contact with the road.

Although it wasn't freezing the dampness on the surface had turned to black ice. The sensation is difficult to describe, but imagine being on a bike which you need to keep upright but from which you are gettimg no feedback at all, simply a feeling of wandering from side to side. As I say, thank God it was on the dual carriageway because I had no control and dare not try to do anything except sit very still while the bike used the whole width of the road in it's wanderings.

All of a sudden the familiar feeling of tyres gripping returned, and boy did I slow down and take a few deep breaths. The rest of the journey home was taken very steadily indeed. Funny thing was that no one really believed me about how bad it had been as the section of road was not noted at all for problems, but a few years later a car went off the road and into a tree on the same stretch for no apparent reason!

Andy

scott thats a great story that m8......glad we dont get them over here :P

'Tis the truth Baz.......been in a coupla quakes before, but nothing like the one's they get in California. :huh:

The last one I recall.....I was @ work on the 3rd floor of an office building in downtown Portland......watching these 4ft.x4ft. columns inside the building twist all around, along with my computer monitor jumping all over the desk......was something I won't forget! :unsure: The amazing thing about that quake was the epicenter was 250 miles away up in Seattle! :blink:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online