Throttle Jam?

Benedictine
This post is 3807 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I wonder if you can help me with something I am a bit worried about. On three/four occasions my throttle has appeared to jam on full. This has happened in 3rd gear. All of a sudden the bike lunges forward from under 30mph to 38mph+ and I can't slow the bike down by shutting down the throttle, it just appears to be locked/jammed and I have to brake and stick in the clutch.

The first time it happened I panicked and used the emergency kill switch (I was approaching a main road). Afterwards I thought I must have accidentally put it in fourth gear, but it has now happened a few times so I was wondering if there is a jam on the throttle, if this can happen and how to fix it?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Always check/fix the cheapest and easiest stuff first.

1/. Check your throttle cables are not twisted up or stretched/damaged.

2/. Check your throttle cables are properly lubed. If not, lube them up! Do the brake and clutch ones while you're at it.

3/. Strip the right control cluster down and make sure both the throttle slider and any areas it fits onto/into are clean and free of crap.

4/. Check your butterfly valves and associated components, where your throttle cables connect to. Make sure they are clean and working well.

Something I once found once was when I applied the brake and pulled the clutch in, the engine remained revving.

I was turning into an entrance, so had a good grip on the bars. I think it was cold and my muscles were slightly tensed up against this, as it turns out I was still holding the throttle open a bit while squeezing the brake, ha ha!!

Hi Benedictine. Not seen you on here for a while! My throttle stopped being smooth last week. After diagnosing (wrongly) that it must be the grip an spending far too much time in the cold teasing oil between the grip and the bar I then dripped some 3 in 1 down the cable. Fixed it instantly!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online