Project 86 FZ600 - "Black Yamba"

feliks
This post is 3597 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

CTC sell this http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/valve-spring-compressor-0256191p.html but its a POS and hard to work with but for 15 bucks it should get your small job done.

Option 2 is to buy a deep C clamp and cut/grind a slot in the side of a piece of pipe or socket ( can buy another one while your there just find the size you need 18-19 mm first) easier to work with ,still not as easy as a proper tool like thishttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Valve-Spring-Compressor-C-Clamp-Service-Kit-Auto-Motorcycle-ATV-Small-Engine/231136540055?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D163%26meid%3D4296594509461302659%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1088%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D350902854753%26 But alot cheaper and you can do it today and have a c clamp for other things.

Option 3 take it over to the machine shop and get them to pop them in for you, for the small fee they will charge it might be the easiest way and you get to know them better.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Princess Auto has this one: http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Engine-And-Transmission/Valve-Spring-Compressor/8003725.p probably going to pick it up. It's $50 - what the shop would probably charge to do the job and I'd rather do it myself if I can!

Up to you but for the very few times your going to use it in your life I would just go the way drewps and I suggested with a c/g clamp and socket work just about as well

Ok...that worked. 10 minutes to do one frickin clip though lol what a bitch these are!! One down...7 to go. Guess I should be thankful I only have two valves per cylinder!

12090044234_bdc03ed0e0_c.jpg

12089973653_555ca9ab92_c.jpg

12089975833_ecbb8baaf0_c.jpg

12090041954_21e1f8bd79_c.jpg

Woo! Got em all in, job got a little easier as I did each one...but they were still very finicky! A pair of tweezers would have came in handy...ahhh...shit, I just remembered I had medical forceps that would have been perfect!! Damnit...oh well, it's already done! Took my time and started putting everything back together today after I picked up my last $5 rubber grommet from Yamaha today. Torqued the head down with no problems to the specified 16.5ft/lbs, and had no problems with my newly threaded stud hole! Wooooo!

Now I just need to mount the cams and finish up the top end. I'm going to use the cams from the donor engine because they should be a better fit. Will check gap to be sure once they're mounted up.

12094950084_829ffcc79d_c.jpg

12094573825_a93c70a70f_c.jpg

Oh shit... I think I've actually got all of the hard work done now! :D

Camshafts are lubed up and installed and everything went nice and smooth...even had my marks to work from off the chain so the spacing is identical from when I took it apart. Sweet! :D

Another late night, and now the only thing left to do is a valve measurement and adjustment if needed, and then it's back in the bike she goes!

12098758273_2c712d90c4_c.jpg

great,:thumb:

I know the feeling when it suddenly comes together and you think, oh shit nearly done and its gotta fire up. no going back :)

• Like 1

Well done , :beerchug::thumb:

Remember back when this started I said I would come down and help you put it together in a day,well now you know how it's done BUT NOW you get the honnor of saying " I rebuilt this top end myself" and in the end you learned way more and have all the tools to do it again.

:elephant::eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

Don't forget to roll the eng over by hand 4x and recheck you timming marks,with the cam ternsioner in of course.Easier to do if you pull the sparkies.Remember when I told you the noches in the end of the cam line up with the head check it,though It looks right to mee the exhaust cam on#1 is 90 deg. from opening and the intake ( though hard to see) is off the valve by 90 deg.

Clean any assembly lube off the cam lobes to measure the clearence.Then re lube

One of the best parts of this build is you have vertualy no breakin period just warm it up let it cool down recheck the head bolts and the little one in the front that goes up,warm it up again and drop the oil.The only part yo are realy breaking in is the hone.

Haha yes you did! I knew there was a small chance of you actually having some time to come and help so I had a feeling I was going to get my hands nice and dirty on this build! Not a bad thing at all... was just nervous about screwing something up! It is harder when you don't have the right tools...and the wife keeps asking "What else did you buy...what else do you need....what was $50 now at Canadian Tire..." LOL :D

I have turned the engine over by hand a few times already to make sure there was nothing binding, I'll be sure to double check my marks and position of the camshafts.

I'm not sure how to check valve clearance... gonna need some youtube help (or your help!) on this one!

And it's not party time yet.... once I get it back in and it actually fires up then we can celebrate!! lol Well...when the snow melts, then we can celebrate... haha :D

You know... I think the intake cam is positioned incorrectly now that I went and looked at it again...damn! Gotta to take the tensioners off and rotate that bitch....ah well. Better to notice now!

Ok not a big deal that the cam is out happens when the tensioner takes up the slack in the chain rotates the intake back.

But you can check the valves befor you pull the cam you might need to pull it to re shim so check it now.

Rotate the cam so it's 180 from opening (lobe up off the bucket) check the clearence.You can also check the clearence just after the round of the bottom of the cam comes to the flat some cams are tighter there.

Postin this pic for Flip!

I think I need to rotate the intake cam (on the right) one more tooth clockwise - does that look right to you? I've been fucking with them back and forth and I think I've almost got it....'cept I'm off by one small turn I think.

12106298104_97d1a1e4ea_c.jpg

(at TDC)

12106302644_708ba53382_c.jpg

No the can tensioner will pull it back and take the slack outa the chain in center of the cams

Where are the dots on the cam sprockets and the noches on the end of the cam?

Ya it better to have it out of time as you have it then let the tensioner pull into time.It's your first time so it might take a few shots at it just keep rolling the motor over and checking till you get it right.

Hmmm.... looks a little off to me still...What do you think?

Looks like I have to turn it slightly off TDC to get the lobes to point directly in and out on the #1 and #4 lobes.... here's a pic of it right at TDC, I think if I loosen all of the slack (damnit again! lol) undo the caps, and then rotate the cams one gear tooth clockwise (from looking at this pic) that should do it... then they'll be directly opposite each other while at TDC.

Does that sound / look right to you guys? Help is appreciated!! :D

12108062103_4d1b269105_c.jpg

12108418886_2b1d567696_c.jpg

12107748675_543435a6b7_c.jpg