Mutton dressed as lamb?

Matthewmcc
This post is 3898 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys!

Recently I bought myself a little R125, being 16 I can't drive anything bigger just yet.

The bike looks the part, but I find myself a little underwhelmed, don't get me wrong it's not what I would call slow, and I know it's only a 15hp 125, but if I'm honest I was hoping for a little more pull and a higher top speed.

Are there any modifications you guys would recommend that would give a noticable imporovement?

Besides the generic upgrades (new exhaust, big bore kit)

I got in contact with a car modification garage near where I live and the best they could do was offer to put nitrous in it, and I don't think I want to mess with that just yet!

Another question, would trying to shave some weight off the bike make any difference?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I think you have mentioned just about all you could do except mess with the sprockets and possibly re-map it.

As your first post is a collection of questions, and not related to your questions, you may benefit for reading the following

An interesting set of questions Matthew but, as above, would you walk up to strangers in a pub and ask them to fix/advise on your bike when they don't know you and more important you don't know them, for instance if someone says saw the back swing arm off are they messing with you or are they serious? Sometimes it's best to say Hi first and then wait till you feel more confident before taking the advice of strangers, good people on here with a wealth of knowledge and most of us have been where you are now but what suits us might not suit you. Welcome to the YOC by the way, if you stick around you will find we are helpful and fun to be around but an "INTRO" makes life so much more productive. :jossun:

• Like 1

Id say ride it, gain the riding knowledge that you need to stay alive on the road. Save your money to do your big boys test then buy a bike with more grunt.

Its got the power of a dying badger for a reason. The reason is 16-17 year olds buy these bikes, so they dont want to send PC plod to every mummy and daddy telling them their little darling has decided they wanted to have a bit of fun and kickex the bucket.

Power isnt everything..........knowing how to ride / drive and staying alive with all those wankers IS everything!!!!!

Again, dont waiste your time or money on making a 125 go faster. Save it and learn to ride properly

• Like 1

Are there any modifications you guys would recommend that would give a noticable imporovement?

Obtain a full M/C license then a bigger bike :jossun:

• Like 1

Being on a 125cc myself and a custom crusier as well I know what you mean about speed but as long as you can hit the national speed limit on arterial roads stick with that.

It's more power than I have at the moment (Actually I've just broken down DOH!) but we are limited for a reason.

The 2-stroke sports bikes get a LOT more speed but you have more chance of getting yourself killed on one.

90+mph on a 2-stroke engine that has a habbit of seizures after X miles or lack of maintenance = rear lock up and normally broken bones/death

You made a good choice with the Yamaha YZF-R125, don't ruin it with unneeded modifications especially to the engine as you'll just kill its life expentantcy and lower its resell value when you move up to a faster, safer ride.

(I am also currently a L-plate rider albeit at 26 years old)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online