HELP! My RXS 100 has started cutting out after a mile or so!

Chickenbottom
This post is 3898 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys, recently bought my first bike 2 months ago. £500 1990 RXS 100 and I love it. It's been fantastic for two months, hasn't missed a beat. Until today, a hot, sunny bank holiday monday. I get her started on the first kick. let her warm up on idle as usual. Hit the road taking my usual route towards Brecon and the next thing I know I'm losing power then the revs shoot up and down and then she cuts out. Takes an age to get her started again and doesn't last long at all. Revs are super low even with the choke. Then just dies again. So far i have checked the:

Fuel flow is good and the inline filter is new

Took off the carb cleaned it up good
Air filter is new and there are no obstructions

I've ordered a couple of spark plugs, and then that is my basic knowledge exhausted if that doesn't work. I don't know if this will help. But I changed the aftermarket none standard indicators the previous owner had installed back to original ones. since doing that I have noticed the rear brake light Flashes with the indicators. Have I caused an electrical problem? Have I drained the battery?

Cheers Chris

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The rear flashing with the indicators sounds like a bad earth, unless you have put LED indicators on it.

The cutting out could be many things. Have you adjusted the carb tickover? I know you said you cleaned the carb but did you take all the jets out and cleaned them? What about the float height, it this set to stock? Does the bike still run slow with the fuel cap off/open?

Sounds a but like the fuel is running out in the bowl, and taking a while to come back, do as DirtyDT says...

Ok guys I'll clean it again, and check the float height. With the tank cap open it does exactly the same thing. I changed the spark plug last night and it made no difference what so ever. Thanks for moving this to the right section for me too! If not the carb what could it be? Ignition coil? Thanks for your time! I'll let you know how I get on :)

hi there Chris , i did 30 000 miles+ on my RXS and had a similar issue once , it could possibly be the needle valve is worn out , totally messing up the fuelling ... this cost around £15 from Yammy if i remember correctly , i might even have one somewhere if you`re lucky but it will take some finding / Pete *

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online