3help please

RICHW1982
This post is 3928 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i have a 52 plate sr 125 and have been riding for about a month so far i have changed the chain and sprockets oil and replaced a few broken parts. all was going well but now the bike keeps cutting out on me had it on the center stand ticking over and it cut out been riding along with no problems and all of a sudden it will cut out. wher i does cut out it takes a few attempts to get it started again iv checked that there is fuel and have even switched over to reserve tank to see if it made any difference and it has not any help would be great

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:huh:

Oh... not gonna do an intro, then? :eusa_snooty::eusa_hand::eusa_naughty:

Here's an example of a really good one:

As mentioned on your other post, this is a community, so folk here not so keen on replying to one-post wonders whose first post is a demand for help and doesn't even have 'please'. It's considered kinda rude, y'see ;)

I'd also advise putting your town in your profile, as there may even be a member local who can help in person.

Hi Rich

Is she cutting out after she's warmed up? Only ask cos my SR used to be hesitant at restarting after fueling. I also noticed that whatever the weather I never had to use choke. I ended up stripping the carb and cleaning it thoroughly. When I reset the mixture screw I had it running weaker than the recommended (can't recall how far out I unscrewed it but was about an 1/8th less than it should be). I now need to use choke first thing in the morning and hardly ever have issues restarting her when hot. I do also have the idle unscrewed a fraction more than the recommended but I am getting just over 80 mpg. I should say that my mechanical experience is very limited and have only been back on a proper bike for a few months so this may just have been a fluke on my 19 yr old ride!

Everyone on this forum is friendly but you will find you get better and more responses if you tell us about yourself and thank people for help, common courtesy. People don't like one hit wonders who ask for help and you never see them on here again.

Anyhow, back to bikes. Really need a little more information to help precisely, but a few things to check maybe,

Idle setting - Is it cutting out when it's idling (ie no throttle?) could be the idle setting is too low causing it to cut out.

spark plugs and distributor - are all cylinders firing reliably and ok? Are all plugs producing a good ignition? If not can cause it to stall.

Carbs - if it has a carb it may need balanced, if fuel air mixture isn't right it can cause the engine to run unsmoothly or cut out.

Air filter - unlikely to completely stall the engine but is it clean? Letting enough air through to the engine?

Could be many other things too but if you can provide more info like how and when it cuts out, how does it behave before and during the stall, etc..

I replied on the welcome section..........Could be floats sticking once carb is full.....it will run for a while then until fuel is exhausted in the carb. U may find that the floats then dislodge again when trying to start her up and you go round the above again.

Take carb apart, clean jets thoroughly. Take pin out of float and clean and use wire wool on the pin. Put it back together........Course the above about mixture and idle screw is also valid as is the electrical advice. I would start with the carb myself.............

Good luck!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online