Cover On - Cover Off?

SteffanV
This post is 3963 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My bike has to live outside at night :cry2: and I rusted my old YBR by always putting a cover over it as soon as I got home.

With my nice new XJ6F I'm allowing it to cool off first (which in the recent warm weather has taken more than an hour).

Anyway tonight it's raining so the bike is wet, I've let the bike cool off and have put the cover on (an Oxford Stormex).

Tomorrow I don't need to use the bike and it is going to be raining for some of the day.

So should I take the cover off as soon as it's daylight to let it dry/get more wet and hopefully dry again i.e. give it more air...or should it be okay slowly drying under the cover?

Thanks in anticipation of some wisdom

(Next post "wipe on - wipe off" :ph34r: )

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

should have dryed it off as best you can before covering it

good bit of advice buy some muc-off protection spray or even better ac50

and spray the bike it will help to protect it a whole lot better

I have the same dilema Steffan so your definitely not alone! I rode my FZ6 yesterday in the rain, came home let it cool down but put the cover on it still wet as the rain wasnt stopping.

I've tried different covers over the years, but I found my Oxford Rainex cover works well on the FZ6 as I bought the medium which is very snug, the cover doesnt touch the ground (it comes down to the tyres and a little of the wheel is on show). I guess the gap lets the air circulate in through the cover to help remove moisture, when I come out to the bike after covering it while wet the night before I find its completely dry underneath. Before this I had a larger cover which had no vents, it made my XJ600 rust like a bi**ch, would still be wet the morning after!

Personally if its raining and its not going to stop, I let the bike cool a little and stuck the cover on while at least the engine is still relatively dry. On top of this, over winter I use Scottoiler ACF-50 after wet rides / washes (theres nothing like the smell of burning off ACF-50 from your engine block in the morning!).

As a novice and I room in my shed, I spray my SR with wd40 after every wash, and when I get home in the wet. I throw an old tarpaulin over it as soon as the exhaust has cooled to stop it from melting.

Thinking about it the cost of wd40, I could probably buy a new shed by Christmas!!

I've got my eyes on one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Folding-Waterproof-Shelter-Storage-Outdoor/dp/B00858UBSA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1EN20O3DXJY1J&coliid=I12IX5MFYP66RZ

guy across the road from has one and seems to do a good job, when i get the chance i'll pop across the road and ask him how he gets on with it before a splash out.

If you have a leaf blower, use that to dry the bike.

I have a two stroke beast and have fun blasting the wet away

Thanks for all the replies and the advice; unfortunately it was still raining even when the bike had cooled, perhaps I should have left it uncovered until the morning and let it dry then?

I will certainly invest in some Scottoiler ACF-50 although unfortunately everything is very much enclosed since I have a full fairing and a big radiator at the front too.

I commute to and from work all year round so there is going to be many a dark/wet evening yet to come.

I will make sure if I do put it away whilst it's still raining that the cover is off the ground and I like the idea of the cover you linked Twincle, please let me know how your neighbour is getting on.

It was something I'd considered before I bought my bike but then could not find one big enough to cover the bike with the top-box on, since actually getting the bike I've found the top box comes off really easy (doh!) :bag:

Anyway thanks again, all advice is good advice

Cheers

Steffan

well I popped across to his house yesterday as he was leaving. He paid a very similar amount t o the one linked and said its been really good. he opened it right up and also showed me how he anchored it to the floor and keeps it padlocked closed. I will definitely be buying one as soon as i get the cash together, after the ground anchor, after the Almax chain, after the Goretex jacket and trousers, after the over-suit, after the heated clothing, after the etc etc etc

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online