Fork brace

Phatjap
This post is 6694 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi again,

more questions!! I've just about got my bike up and running, (XZ550, 1984) and I've hit another small problem.

The original mudguard had a fork brace built into it, but as Ive replaced the mudguard without a brace in it, I'm wondering if I should put an aftet market set on, the type that clamp to the forks?

I've just been told that its not really necesary by some one, but I'd like some opinions please....

If I need to, where could I get some?

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

is it just a plastic mudguard? if so it wouldnt do any harm putting a fork brace on. if its a chrome/stainless guard they're rigid enough to do the job. m&p still do teleflex ones i think. i've got a micron forkbrace on my rd, looks lovely too :) h

Is your XZ one with the infamous Trailing front axle?.....(aka Vision)

A fork brace surely couldn't hurt any......& as Alan mentioned, I believe Telefix still makes 'em ;)

Those XZ's make a nice middleweight sport-tourer :thumb:

hi there

thanks for replying.

Not sure if its the vision or if its got as trailing axle tbh? it lookspretty much like any other!

As for the mudguard, yes its plastic....I'm going to do a search on google for the fork brace mentioned, see what I can come up with.

I havent actually riden this bike yet, I just passed my test and Im about to ( within a few weeks) take it for its first mot in 15 yrs! once my GZ 125 is sold.

cheers

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

more questions!! I've just about got my bike up and running, (XZ550, 1984) and I've hit another small problem.

The original mudguard had a fork brace built into it, but as Ive replaced the mudguard without a brace in it, I'm wondering if I should put an aftet market set on, the type that clamp to the forks?

I've just been told that its not really necesary by some one, but I'd like some opinions please....

If I need to, where could I get some?

Cheers

If its anything like a LC you do notice the differance when a fork brace is fitted ( well I do anyway)

bike will brake better for a start.also think of this if Yamaha desgined it to have one then thats a clue....