SR125 Headlight bulb keeps blowing

AndrewElvisFan
This post is 3964 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm struggling on this one! Only had the bike since March and already I've put 2 new bulbs in (I always run with dipped even in daytime). I've checked earth points I can find - removed and wire brushed etc. battery level is fine. I have noticed that when riding, the brightness does alter slightly. I can't find a logical reason why it keeps blowing. Could it be a less than perfectly flat road? I avoid pot holes but some roads are less than smooth! I'm not sure exactly when it blows as it has happened when in daylight, and I only notice it when I stop behind a car.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The dash does have a small crack in it, but I did seal this and dry the inside thoroughly.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My DT used to average one ever 6 months mainly due to vibration.

Check the acutal earth on the bulb holder itself and not just the bullet connections, when i got project mong it had a functional headlight bulb but it would fail to illuminate when put back in its holder, i ran a resistance test between the mating surface on the inside of the holder (where the bulb actually touches the metal) and the end of the bullet connector and found 50 M-ohms (mega ohms!) of resistance, no wonder the little 12v 'lectrics couldnt even light it, ended up drilling a hole into the plastic of the holder and re-soldering a new earth directly onto the holder itself, worked a treat afterwards

You say your battery level is fine, i assume you have check its charging rate?

Good assumption, but no I meant there is water at the right levels!! I don't have a metre for that, however I am always using a 12v socket which i bodged into a constant live (I thought id followed the ignition wire but obviously not)to charge my phone with the engine off and had no problems! I'm sure there's a metre at work, so I'll check that tomorrow.

with the bike at a medium revs check the voltage across the battery, should aim for about 13.7-14 (or whatever your manual states), anything over that would indicate to me a dodgey regulator which not only leads to shorter lamp life but also a cooked battery (although if it is overcharging it tends to boil the battery dry of water)

I don't know much about what causes them to blow but have you considered fitting an HID kit as a replacement? I've done this on both my Beemers and the results are amazing - much brighter light and the bulbs seem bulletproof. I've yet to have to replace one. I've had no problems with MOT either

im assuming you are referring to the proper kits with the ballast system? to be 100% legal these must be used in conjunction with a projector beam leans (which the stock SR lens isnt).

Most MOT people dont seem to worry about them too much though,

I did think about HID but the cost of replacing the lens etc when my eldest will need a new school uniform in a couple of months is not viable!!

with the bike at a medium revs check the voltage across the battery, should aim for about 13.7-14 (or whatever your manual states), anything over that would indicate to me a dodgey regulator which not only leads to shorter lamp life but also a cooked battery (although if it is overcharging it tends to boil the battery dry of water)

Voltage was fine around 13.8 ish.

I'll check the terminals in the casing. I know there has been water in there previously. Fingers crossed this it! Cheers

I don't know much about what causes them to blow but have you considered fitting an HID kit as a replacement? I've done this on both my Beemers and the results are amazing - much brighter light and the bulbs seem bulletproof. I've yet to have to replace one. I've had no problems with MOT either

Completely unrelated, but as a Beemer rider, do you nod, wave or ignore????!
  • Like 1