XVS650 not been started in a long time

Squidula
This post is 4010 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys and girls,

A friend of mine has a 1999 650 Dragstar, and its not been loved for a while now. Its not been started for at least 8 months, the battery is long dead, and its currently being kept outside (last 2 months).

My question is, how much agro would I be looking at to get it started and back on the road? Its mot expired over a year ago. A friend of mine has suggested the engine will be ceased now from lack of use, is this the case with these virago derived vtwins?

Im trying to get a rough idea of the cost involved in recommisioning it back to the road.

Any help would be much appreciated. Seems a shame to let such a bike rot.

Thanks.
Stuart

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi sqidilla" it wont be seized, :eusa_snooty: . drain the fuel, carbs too. [ screw on bowl] , fit new battery, fresh fuel , prime . and she"l go,

post up a intro in newbbee section, and be polite,, :yeah:

Here we go a list of how to get a bike on the road.

1. Introduce your self to a friendly motorcycle forum in the correct way
  2. Get your self a bike thats been stood for a while
  3. Drain fuel from every fuel holding area of the motorsickle
  4. While fuel is draining smoking isn't advised but i have done this and still have my eye brows
  5. Pump up tires as these will have gone down, and check there are no splits cracks or other obvious things wrong with the tires
  6. Check Spark plugs
  7. Charge battery (preferably the night before commencing work above)
  8. Install now charged battery
  9. Turn ignition key
  10. Hold throttle open for a few seconds
  11. push starter button and she will burst into life hopefully with a nice big bang from your pipes (if they are not standard)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online