modification advice (electrical)

khare123
This post is 4019 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a few questions and would appreciate some advice from someone that can point me in the correct direction.

The Bikes the police and ambulance service use have a swich fitted wich allows the bike to keep running whilst the key is removed, for the purpose of powering the lights that they leave on, as soon as the bike is dropped into gear it automatically kills the bike.

my questions are;

Can you buy premade kits, if so what are they called?

if not is it possible to make it happen yourself, possibly using a transistor from the neutral light?

I only have a basic knowlege on electrics/electronics and would appreciate any help.

thanks, kyle.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I doubt the vehicles you mention have such a device. The ignition key must be in proximety of the ignition lock as there is a chip in the key that must match the numbers in the vehicle's computer. If the key isn't there the engine won't run.

Police BMW motorcycle have a lock to hold the throttle off idle to ensure the engine runs fast enough to charge the battery. The BMW charging system doesn't charge at idle and the lights and radio will drain the battery in no time. Again later machines must have the key near the ignition barrel.

Anything is possible. Electrically its easy. The question for me is why bother?

i am fitting a new exhaust and wont be able to warm my bike up before work were i do at the moment, the neighbours have a newborn. id have to take the bike into the street to warm up, and due to the area its not a smart idea to leave the keys in the bike while i lock up etc and there is allways the fact that its just another gadget haha

You do realise that "warming up" is actually bad for the engine.

Its better to start and go but keep it steady for a mile or 2. Def better for a 2stroke and certainly beneficial on a 4.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online