Newbeeeeee requiring chain advice please!!

bigchrisdunn
This post is 4032 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All

I am kind of new to biking (loving it mind!!) and would really appreciate any help anyone can give here.

I have just noticed that the chain on my bike - YBR125 - appears to be very slack, almost as though there is hardly any tension in it, also noticed when I last had a ride out a couple of days ago that there was a bit of a clicking sound which I am assuming is to do with the looseness of the chain.

I am looking for advice please as to what this may be and may have caused this and what I would need to do to fix it please. As I said earlier I am very much a newbee and this is my first bike so probably wont understand any technical speak. So if someone can break it down for me into simple terms then I would really apprciate any help that I get.

Thanks all in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1. Pop over to the cunningly disguised New Members Welcome Area and give us a decent intro, you tend to find folks here are a lot more giving of the info if they know you a bit better and you're not a "One question then bugger off never to be seen again" type of bod.

2. Chains stretch in use, your CBT should have at least mentioned this in passing (Element B, basic checks....). You have got adjusters either side of the rear wheel at the back to take up this slack. First loosen off the rear axle a bit then use the adjuster nuts to bring the chain back to the right tension (about an inch of free play in the middle of the bottom run) - remember to turn the adjusters on both sides of the wheel the same to keep the wheel in line. Once you've got the tension set, just tighten up the axle nut again and give the chain some lube to finish off. If you run out of adjustment and the chain is still too loose, it's fecked and should be replaced (change the sprockets at the same time as you'll only wear out the new bits even faster otherwise).

3. Welcome!

As above really. While you are at it you need to check that the sprockets are OK. The teeth should not be pointed or turned over at the ends.

Regular chain adjusting and lubing is important. Don't be tempted to overtighten, there should be some slack. And before you start, Move the rear wheel and check how slack the chain is at certain points. They do not wear evenly so it is common to have one part slacker than the rest.

and buy or download a workshop Manual

yeah, first place the bike on the centre stand and turn the wheel in increments through two full revolutions...checking how much slack there is as you go. You will no doubt find a spot where the chan is least slack...this is the point at which you should adjust to the specified slack as per the manual (note where the wheel is by looking at the position of the tyre valve). Now place the bike on it's wheels and onto the sidestand with the wheel in the position you noted the least slack...check the slack now and adjust if necessary.

Unfortunately the clicking sound is indicative of a seized link and is normally loudest when the motor is under power...I'm afraid it often means a new chain is needed!...you can sometimes see this by noting a kink in some of the links

If you renew a chain you should renew both the sprockets also

Success, thanks guys, have managed to adjust the chain so it has the required amount of play in it, will get back out on the road tomorrow for a road test!!! :hyper:

Sure I will be back again very soon, got the MOT coming up :eusa_doh: