RD 125 DX cast wheel - any tutorial for replacing steering head bearings?

Mastiff
This post is 4044 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My son's home and I'm away for a month, and he doesn't understand how to replace the original ball bearings on the 125 DX with the taper head bearing kit he got from Yambits. (Fast shipping and great service as usual, btw!). I suspect that he has to remove the part of the head itself where the balls were, but am I wrong? He says it seems to be a part ofthe head itself, but they can be knocked out, right? Is there a tutorial somewhere that he can follow?

Also he says that the kit came with some rubber bushings. Where are they supposed to go? Are they a part of what's going to be punched into the steering head?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Last time I had any input on this subject the chap had to bin the idea because the bearings were taller than the original ones so it wouldnt assemble right...worth bearing in mind... :eusa_whistle:

I have found one of these makes a good tool to help remove the races...a plugging chisel / mortar chisel

Mortarchisel.jpg

Oh, man... that joke really hurts! ;) Well, I checked out that thread, and it's not the same bike, so I hope these fits here. Caroline at Yambits seemed very certain, and she's been right on previous parts for the things, so I'm hoping it will work out. Thanks for the tool tip! The rubber are meant as grease seals at the bottom and at the top, then?

He-he, well, I hope these are the correct correct parts, then! ;) His were obviously the wrong correct parts... And I hope it will be apparent to my son how they fit! This one he has do do himself, so it's going to be interesting. No daddy saftey net this time...

The biggest thing with tapered bearings being taller, [ 5mm roughly] is the headlight ears are loose , you have to shim them tighter , use a rubber O ring, or squashed Exhaust gaskets [ painted same as ears] :icon_wink:

The biggest thing with tapered bearings being taller, [ 5mm roughly] is the headlight ears are loose , you have to shim them tighter , use a rubber O ring, or squashed Exhaust gaskets [ painted same as ears] :icon_wink:

ya mean pink then john :)

And the deed is done. :) Bearings in place, and they worked out very nicely. The old cups (racers?) for the ball bearings can be used as spacers for the headlight fittings. So now my son's going to do the rest of the work, and he'll be back on the road. Which is in good time because the end of the coming week is the first time this year that it has been forecasted consistently over 0 all day and all night. Norway's had a rather cold and long winter this year... My southern part of the country usually has +10 degrees C most of March and 15 in April!