How many balls in the RD 125 DX cast wheel steering?

Mastiff
This post is 4061 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My son has a problem with his balls. ;) Not hereditary, I know very well how many balls I have and need! :biglaugha: Now I have not looked at his because I'm not at home right now, but according to the RD125B_RD200B repair manual, which I have, there should be 19 balls both in the upper and lower bearing of the stearing head. He says he can't understand that because it doesn't look like more than 18 will fit each. The problem is that he has split two heads at the same time, one parts bike and his own bike, and he may have mixed up the balls. Sounds rather uncomfortable to me, to continue the (bad) jokes. But he thinks he has 37 balls from his own bike, and they should be OK. Then he may have dropped one on the floor and can't find it, so it may have been 38 originally. But is it possible that there are 18 balls in one bearing and 19 in the other? And which one is what?

Or would it be smarter to buy replacement taper bearings?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've got a Supplementary service manual for the RD125DX that covers engine/frame number 1E7-250101 and on that says :

Number and size of Balls in steering head

Upper Race 19 pcs 1/4 in

Lower Race 19 pcs 1/4 in

Hope this helps.

Tony

Thanks, that's what I thought. Still, would it be better to change to new taper bearings?

If you can find a kit that fits then yes much better set up way easier to service IMO

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online