how to bleed brakes

beef
This post is 4070 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

this is a how to on bleeding front brakes.

firstly put a sheet over the bike to protect it in case of spillage, this was a brand new master cylinder. so was empty. and sheet is not in these pics as these are from when i fitted it.

1 remove the top of master cylinder.

mine has two screws, careful not to chew these up.

removescrews_zps1d548517.jpg

2 then remove the top and any other bits inside.

like these.

removethis_zps912404a4.jpg

3 remove this rubber diaphram

andremovethis_zps0af0cb6f.jpg

4 connect the bleed pipe to the nipple and loosen off the nipple about one and half turns. be careful not to chew up the nipple and if it aint moving then squirt it with some penetrating spray and go for a brew and then come back

brakebleed4_zps66478519.jpg

note the fluid that is in the tube as the pressure was released. thats why i connect the hose before loosening the nipple.

5 this is the bleed set up. its an easy bleed thing from ebay.

brakebleed1_zps38b671ec.jpg

the bleeder is in an old sports bottle, and as you squeeze the brake lever the old fluid is deposited in the bottle

you need to gently squeeze the brake lever and watch the bubbles in the tube

brakebleed3_zpse2b8b081.jpg

keep doing this until there are no bubbles in the tube as you squeeze the lever.

you may even be able to see the colour of the fluid change as you get from the old fluid to tthe new, this will depend how long the old fluid has been in the system and how poor it is.

keep an eye on the fluid lever in the master cylinder. as you pump the lever the fluid level will drop, so top up as is neccessary

then fasten the nipple up, remove the tube and wipe up any dribbles of fluid.

and if like me you have two front disks then you have to repeat on the other disk.

once the brakes are bled, you need to put the top back on the master cylinder and jobs done.

this is the type of bleeding kit i have

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/motorcycle-car-brake-bleeding-kit-tool-/221195900132?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item33804d94e4

i know people do it with just a straight length of tube and put a kink in it and it works, but this thing makes it easy if you are doing it on your own, as you can connect it, stick it in the bottle and then pump and watch

another note is to say that if the fluid in the system is good then you can reuse it, just use a clean container for catching the fluid and then pour it back into you bottle.

i was unsure of the quality of the fluid and i always use new fluid.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Beef,,,,,, good advise and discription there-------- fair play to ya.

I wouldnt reuse any brake fluid. Brake fluid starts to absorbs moister once the bottle is open, so for the sake of it prob better to keep buying new stuff.

2wheels, i never reuse brake fluid, even if its just been bled through new lines, for the cost of the fluid and the fact it could pick up any dirt as it passes through and then re-enter the system just to save a couple of quid..

i put that line about you can reuse if you want because there will some one who will say 'oh reuse the old stuff, i have for umpteen years and never had any issues'

i will post a pic of the old and new fluid later.

and these little how to's are ment at the novice home mechanic and to try and save a few quid,and learn a little bit to look after their bikes.

it is mainly in response to some recent threads on here and other foums about ''how do i....'' so as i do some of the things to my bikes i will post them on here. i will be doing a coolant change, an oil chainge, a drive shaft oil change, handle bar swap and some other bits over the coming weeks as i prep the bike for the euro road trip.

Tip: Before you start bleeding put some PTFE tape around the nipple thread as it will stop any air getting into the caliper while bleeding.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online