XJ900 Diff vent leak

Johnny English
This post is 4077 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi John and Welcome to the YOC, Have you checked the level? if you have to much oil in it then that might be your problem, try draining the oil out and then start again by filling to the proper level. :jossun:

P.S if you can might be an idea to do an INTRO (new members section) that way folks get to know about you and will respond better. :eusa_whistle:

Hi. Thanks for the reply. It started leaking all on its own. I've refilled the dieff to the right level and it still has oil round the vent and on the tyre.

I'll do an introduction now.

Thanks

John

I don't know but is there a valve in the vent? if so that might be your problem, can you get it off and have a poke around inside to see if it is just bunged up? What about unusual movement or noises from the diff it's possible that some thing has come adrift inside the diff and is causing the oil to splash higher than normal. What oil are you using is it SAE 80 gear oil or something else?

mabey a silly ? but did you flush out all the old befor refilling..if you refilled to spec out of the book ie 800mm and there was fliud still left in mabey over full now. I would try and lower the level a bit and see if it stops,also spay some brake cleaner in the vent to free it up and on the tire to get the oil off the tire ,scary thoughts of 80w on side of a tire.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online