Another Newbie, Down in SE London

Sasquatch
This post is 4103 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Folks

I've just joined the site - I'm not a biker, but my other half is...

She's just got herself a 2001 XVS 125, which has been sitting in someone's back garden for the past 4 years.

I've got the owner's manual and have a fair bit of experience with things mechanical (although the last bike I worked on was a Kawi KH1000), but I wanted to check first for any advice before I start the "recommissioning" process.

Also, when I say "has been sitting", I mean just that - it has not been run (or, in fact, moved) since early 2008...

I appreciated that all the fluids will need changing, and that the tyres are probably suspect, despite having very little wear, but any advice (particularly about changing the oil - do I run it first to warm the oil up,or is that a bad idea for a motor that hasn't been run for so long, etc).

All constructive advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi sasquash" :headbang: [ isnt that a yeti] any way , drain the oil off first, be good to see whats all in there, post up in workshop , as this is newbe section,

And that KH " would have been a Z1000. more like,,, kh [ kawasaki highway] were 2 strokes. and the largest being 750cc :yeah:

:welcome: to the YOC Sasquatch!

• 2 weeks later...

Well - got the air and oil filters fm my local Yamaha dealer. The oil and filters are now changed, and I've got a couple of new plugs to gap and put in. The electrics are fine - the battery charged up no problem after a few years with no use, and is holding its charge.

Just need to check out the brakes and change the tyres - only a few thousand miles on them, but they are the originals, so are now about 12 years old - and then give it a damn good clean!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online