DT 175 MX chain adjustment guide

NE0
This post is 4147 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Last night , for whatever reason my drive chain jumped the rear sprocket cog and came off!

No damage! the engine stopped! I came to a stand still pretty quickly..........nobody about!! :icon_redface:

When I rebuilt the motor last year and had the wheels rebuilt,

(foolhardy i know!) :eusa_doh: but I never replaced the drive chain and sprockets at the time!

I just reused the old ones (I know I didn't know its history) Its done now ok?................don't go on!

Anyway, back to reality!

I know what needs to be done, new kit from Wemoto this weekend!

I guess its all down to adjustment, which is where you fellow DTMX guys know a tad more than me!

My 400/4 is easy to adjust, you pull the rear wheel back and adjust the chain tension with the bottom part of the chain for the up and down play.....easy.....No automatic chain adjuster!

DT....auto chain adjuster!, loads of slack chain! seems its got about 20 links more than it should have!!! ....ok bit of an exaggeration!

What's the correct way to adjust the rear chain with these tensioners and are there any nuggets of information and how to do it for the best results!

Anyway with such a title i'm hoping you'll read how to do it the easy way from all the Easy Tip posts to follow..........over to you guys!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Try this Alan

Put the bike in 1st gear and push it backwards to tension the top run of chain, hold the tensioner down off the chain, and adjust for 50mm slack in chain, both wheels on the ground mind.

Actually the books says 40-50mm of slack

Thanks Paul, Why couldn't the haynes manual have put it in your simplified way?

I've just been down the shed and done it ,................. I won't tell you how much it was out by :icon_eek:!

But I could have used the slack as a security chain!! I obviously didn't do it right the first time!

I've got a feeling I did it with the bike on the pit shop stand.....

I'll still go ahead and get the sprocket kit and do it right next time too! at least i can use it for work until the weekend.....

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online