Found a deal on some old U.S. DT175s if anybody's interested

oldbikerehab
This post is 4134 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I scan my local craigslist on occasion for a second DT to buy since I've been in and out of mine after a couple rebuilds and I figure I could whip one back into shape without all the head scratching/banging involved with my first one.

This morning I spotted this:

http://carbondale.craigslist.org/mcy/3509468340.html

2x 1978 DT 175s for $500. One runs, the other in parts.

Here's my dilemma: I have $500 in my pocket right now, BUT I need to use it to pay down my university bill, otherwise I can't register, get my graduate degree, get a job, and make money. I could always just put the tuition on a credit card and use the cash for "just one more bike". :eusa_think:

Anyway, it seems like one bike could be turned into a rider and everything else parted out for a profit. I just bought a second bike that I'm starting to fix up so fixer upper #3 and #4 are probably not in the cards right now :crazy: but I thought maybe there might be a member stateside interested in this ad. . .

Anybody care to share any success and/or horror stories about flipping bargain bikes for fun or profit?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

well pal i bought what looked liie a bargain bike for £550 spent £600 still couldnt get the heep to work properly sold it for £500 (a loss of £650+)..

trouble with me is i dont know enough about bikes to spot a good deal or a pile of shit lol.

i took 2 other people with me when i went for my dtr people who owned them before and knew some about bikes lol

if you know your shit and you get the feeling go for it, i get the feeling but i dont know my shit so i just watch the deals go by :(

ken

Are pics not allowed in The Bar? I'm trying to post some before and after pics from my photobucket using the IMG tag as always but I keep getting this error:

"You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

There seems to be a glitch with some picture posting at the moment. It is intermittent so trying again may get the pics up.

That's the thing what seperates the people with bike knowledge to the people who think they know! Aslong as you either know or you know someone who knows there shit you should be fine.

I bought 2 piles of shit out of 3 bikes I bought so my ratio is crap lol

$300 + $500 = $800 for a good looking, running bike... how's that not a smoking deal?! :D

Here's my first DT I bought for $300.

IMG_0028_zps38af403c.jpg

About $500 and 5 months later.

rightside_zps4a161d6a.jpg

exhaust_zps1bb53c37.jpg

So tempting to have another go at an old DT. . . :sigh2:

I've often wondered what your bike looked like now, shes a beaut well done, another brought back from the brink. The other two for $500 well the best one looks a heck of a lot better than the one you started with dont ya think?

Thanks AH! I would be more inclined if they had the title, but in my state Illinois, a salvage title is a pain and kind of pricey. Missouri, on the other hand, will give a title for anything for about $10. Might be time to call my friends in St. Louis. . . LOL I'll be in this seller's town next week so I'll probably check it out if it hasn't sold by then.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online