DT 125 R won't start, has bin stood ten month, won't tick over

Nathan3
This post is 4165 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi every body. my names Nathan im from leeds I'm new to this club i have been recovering from a accident on my yamaha dt 125 re and as a result my bike has bin stood for ten month. I changed engine oil, 2stroke oil, water and coolant. I checked spark plug and it was sparking perfectly. It was riding perfect for about a hour then cut out on me It wouldn't start so I bumped it but it kept cutting out when I took revs off. I bumped it again and rode it for about ten min hoping it was 2 do with the battery as it kept running flat when trying to start it. It cut out on me whilst riding after ten min and wouldn't bump.when I did have it started it wouldn't tick over. I have put a new battery on and fresh petrol. It started up and ticked over for about 15 min before cutting out it started again but cut wot straight away. I have checked spark plug again and the spark is very small the bike won't star or bump now. I have tried changing the ht lead and coil which made no difference I also changed Cdi unit and still had no joy. I first thought it was a fuel problem then a electronic problem and now I have run out of ideas somebody please help me I have bin trying to work it wot for 2 days now does any body have any ideas????????

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Nathan, Welcome to the YOC, it's best if you do a proper intro before you start with the questions as peeps like to know who they are talking to and if you just start out with "my bikes broke how do I fix it?" without saying Hi first then most won't talk to you, I'm sure somone here has a fix for you so try again mate and you will have lots of helpful advice. :jossun:

• Like 1

Just checking - you say you've replaced damn near everything in the ignition circuit, but I don't see "put a new spark plug in" - have you tried that yet? You may get a spark when holding it against the head, but it may fail under compression, and it's only a couple of quid so probably the cheapest option available....

Now pop over to the New Members Section and give us a wee intro before some of the grumpier members give you an opportunity to explore the ways of Tom Selleck, natural water features and a tasty snack ......!

• Like 1

i would advise putting some "redex" into your petrol as well

after being stood for 10 months the carbs may have some crap in them redex will help to clear it

try that before stripping the carbs

• Like 1

defo sounds like the carb...

get that carb cleaned out and blast some air in there (small tin usually used as keyboard duster), a little fuel in the float bowl for 10 month will go off and go into a jelly like substance-you have sucked that shit through the jets which have very small holes.

ill be cleaning mine out after 2 months of standing time.

ken

• Like 1

the holes in jets are so small you might not have noticed a small bit of gunk in there!!

make sure you took out all the jets and cleaned them and the holes where they live i blast them through with anything compressed air,carb cleaner,wd40 and air freshener aslong as it gets a good blast.

once i finnish blasting it out i just let everything soak in petrol.

what colour is your spark plug? is it new?

ken

Defintitly sounds like carb problems to me too. Whilst the carb is off it may be worth taking the reedblock off and checking that too. Just to rule it out. The cost of the gasket is nothing compared with the peace of mind knowing it is ok.

If you can, i would suggest doing a compression test to see what you are getting. After ten months of sitting ( was this inside or out?), there is always the possibility that moisture has has gone down the exhaust and into the engine. When you inittially tried to start it, the rings may have been a bit stuck to the bore and now you have an issue there. A simple compression test could rule this out though.

As ken says, I'd check the spark plug to see what you have. If you havnt replaced it. Do so.

Carb cleaner is the best option as it does what it says on the tin :P I'd probably avoid air freshener though personally.

Defintitly sounds like carb problems to me too. Whilst the carb is off it may be worth taking the reedblock off and checking that too. Just to rule it out. The cost of the gasket is nothing compared with the peace of mind knowing it is ok.

If you can, i would suggest doing a compression test to see what you are getting. After ten months of sitting ( was this inside or out?), there is always the possibility that moisture has has gone down the exhaust and into the engine. When you inittially tried to start it, the rings may have been a bit stuck to the bore and now you have an issue there. A simple compression test could rule this out though.

As ken says, I'd check the spark plug to see what you have. If you havnt replaced it. Do so.

Carb cleaner is the best option as it does what it says on the tin :P I'd probably avoid air freshener though personally.

anything thats flamable will do... maybe airfreshner is a little too far but if its all you got lol

ive used lighter gas before

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online