Yamaha YZ80 - 1985. Just how much has it changed?

towiecat
This post is 4204 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So firstly, Hi, and thanks for having me, if i should be posting this somewhere else, then would a very kind moderator point me in the right direction? thanks

I just acquired my very first grown up "box of bits," in the form of a good old YZ80, well some of one anyway. that most vital of parts - the engine is not there!

it seems like the bike has not changed much over the years, does anybody have any idea whether the frame / set up will easily take a much later engine? For example looking at the mounts on a 1998 they seem identical. Anybody successfully tried a later engine, or should i just keep looking for a '85?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi,

I own a DT 50 r with DT 80 LC engine... I cant say if the YZ and DT 80 engines are identical, but I can help you with pictures and measurments if needed.

Your bike should have liquid cooling, right?

Many thanks for the offer,much appreciated.

Yes it is liquid cooled, i will look for some exhaust pics.

At this stage i am thinking mainly of using the same model, just a different year. I will let you know if i start to consider other model engines.

Easiest way to found out if the engine from newer model will fit is to search on the net for frame photos. That is the way I discover it that on dt 50 R frame cannot fit DT 125 engine (and there are a lot of 125 engine here). So I found a RD 80, wich has the same engine with DT 80. It needed a little modification on the rear engine holder, but it fits.

Originaly, DT 80 has a pipe wich is placed on the left side of the bike, and DT 50 R () and YZ 80 has the pipe from the right side. Currently I`m using old pipe from dt 50, but I think that it is small. That is why I asked for YZ measurments, if it fits to the cylinder I can order a pipe from ebay.

Welcome towie" take this post to workshop or project section, it will get more views, as its only the diehards lurk in here, to welcome newbies,,, :welcome:

Here you go. Shifted to projects.....

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online