1978 DT175 performance improvement

This post is 4217 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi... new to the forum. have a 78 dt175. 2500 miles runs great. I am, just wondering if there are any good performance improvements to try. Right now the bike will run about 65 mph. With my 230 lb on it.

Engine is turning about 7500 rpm at that speed.

Any carb or exhaust options still available for these bikes.

Thanks for your help.

Ken

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Sorry i suffer with sarcasm, to early.....? No matter. Must be due to the lack of an introduction. Tut tut.

Short answer no. The only new stuff now is direct replacement unless you keep a permanant watch on ebay. (thanks again paul).

Search the forum. Different people try different things. I have had mine over 20 years and tried most of it and ended up back with a basically standard (ish) bike.

65mph is about it. The engines suffer when tuned. They generate a hot spot in the exhaust port area that overheats the piston and pop. The later liquid cooled lc engines have a speciall water gallery specifically to sort that.

Welcome. Dont forget the intro...

Hi... new to the forum. have a 78 dt175. 2500 miles runs great. I am, just wondering if there are any good performance improvements to try. Right now the bike will run about 65 mph. With my 230 lb on it.

Engine is turning about 7500 rpm at that speed.

Any carb or exhaust options still available for these bikes.

Thanks for your help.

Ken

Hi mate have a look in the vid sec what i did to my 1 dt175 1980 enduro.