New Boots

Grouch
This post is 4233 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have finally got round to buying some new boots six months after getting my bike :eusa_doh:

I kept changing my mind about what sort and style I wanted. I knew I needed some

badly for safety reasons but kept putting off, also I was sick of my feet getting soaked.

Anyway I settled on these, I'm sure they will last me a good few year.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTOCROSS-Racing-BOOTS-by-WULFSPORT-in-BLACK-Race-Enduro-Motox?item=360397066462&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D1%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2344971192805742524

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sweet! The style definitely suits your bike.

I had fun cruising through a flood the other day - totally dry feet at the end of it and a big grin on my face. :-D

I haven't worn them yet, I don't want to get them dirty lol, it's my day off work tomorrow so I'm going to get all kitted up and for a ride around the moors. All I need now is some proper armpoured trousers.

I'm officially jealous Grouch... Have a great time tomorrow around some fantastic roads.

One thing I noticed was the lack of feeling with my boots. I'm used to them now (and wouldn't look back), but considering I went from a pair of pathetic (mesh-topped) gym shoes to boots - it was very surreal not being able to feel the gear lever! Add to that, the fact that I was still getting used to my bike after only a hundred odd miles...

I'll be heading out on the weekend to enjoy some great roads in daylight.

Nice boobs, er, boots! Seriously though, those boots are sexy. They ought to do a great job while looking great too. :thumb:

Green with envy.

But on the plus side, it'll be a good test for the boots... ;-)

No seriously, fingers crossed for you!

Well, went out for a few hours today and right from the start it was clear the new boots were problematic. The boots are so heavy, and I cannot feel a thing in them. As soon as I set off I could not chage gear properly and kept pressing the back brake by accident as I could not even feel that I was doing it. I have gone from wearing trainers and being able to feel every little detail to nothing at all. In fact it is pretty dangerous. Anyway I persevered and started to get used to them little by little. Even after a few hours of riding I am still not 100% whilw wearing them. I hope I can get used to them fast.

I have to admit, I was like that with mine, but I get the feeling my boots probably have more feeling and movement in them than yours as they are touring ones (http://www.rocketclothing.co.uk/BOOTS/ALPINESTARS/Alpinestars-Alpha-WP-Boot/prod_1586.html).

It took me a few rides to feel comfortable changing gear and knowing that I wasn't pressing the brake. Stick with it and I'm sure you'll become accustomed to them. It's quite a big step up from trainers.

I've just been out for a ride again and I am starting to get used to them. It will take me a few more rides though. The first time I went out I kept knocking it up two or three gears or knocking it into neutral, and pressing the back brake. I used to rest my foot above the braker but I can't now because the boots are really heavy and I can't feel a thing. It's like anything though, practice makes perfect. I will eventually get used to them, one thing is certain, I definitely need them. I even felt safer with them on.

Hey Grouch - how are you getting on with the boots?

Hi Bippo,

I was struggling a bit at first and was even starting to regret buying them and wishing I had bought the same style as yours. They are that heavy and tight I can't move my feet at all they are stiff in a fixed position, whereas before I could just flick my foot up and down with my ankle. They are very chunky and clumsy and to be honest I felt a bit of a tit wearing them. Anyway after venturing out on my bike wearing trainers it didn't feel right, my feet felt really vulnerable and freezing cold compared to when I had my boots on. I'm getting used to them and I'm glad I bought them, I just wish I'd bought a pair sooner. I'm still making the odd mistake with the gears and rear brake but another week and I will be 100% with them. It might sound stupid but I feel a lot safer with them on for some reason. I just carry my trainers in a bag when I go to work etc.

Mx boots take a while to break in and adjust your riding style.As for the rear brake issue lower your brake arm so you can ride with your boot over top of the peddal.

It's adjusted by turning the linkage at the rear loosen the jam nut and raise it 2-3 turns then spin up the piviot.

Also adjust you shifter alittle higher.

As far as saftey your feet/ankels couldn't be safer.It's almost impossible to twist a ankel if the boots are worn properly and you will never hyper extend your ankel. I wouldn't have any toes on my left foot if it weren't for my boots my foot got caught in the chain and rear sprocket in a dirt crash and the bike stalled because the boot is so strong.I broke my collar bone and knocked myself out cracked my helmet but the boots still good save for a nice big scrach

My boot are 8 yrs old and nicely broken in they r much like yours made by Thor.

Get them wet and go for a walk on grass as you have probably noticed they are like walking in a cast on pavment and they will soften up so you can move easier in them.

It might sound stupid but I feel a lot safer with them on for some reason. I just carry my trainers in a bag when I go to work etc.

I'm glad you're slowly getting used to them - and I know what you mean about feeling safer. My instructor kept stressing how important it is to get some boots, and I can see why.

i originally wore walking boots for biking (it was summer, no rain, and they protected my feet a little), when i went to some light motorcycle boots (after the rain started) i found it difficult to feel my feet as well, but after a week or so i didnt notice the difference. a month or two ago, i bought some heavier boots, and had the same problem.

you get used to it eventually, just keep at it, and remember to get off your back brake (dont want it wearing out do we?)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online