YBR125 ready for winter

Grover
This post is 4213 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ive been riding a YBR125 since April, through the rain and shine, but now, it seems more rain than shine

yesterday, my instructor showed me some tricks to keep warm and dry when the wet stuff comes down. I liked the handlebar muffs, which would certainly keep my hands dry (im sick of having wet hands all the time, and drying my gloves with a hair dryer), and heated grips also seem to be a winter essential for some riders

but before i go spending money, it would probably be worth checking that they ACTUALLY work, and that my little bike can cope

so, first of all:

is it sensible to fit Muffs to a YBR? and are there any brands that are incompatible with the YBR bars? (having moirror stalks is probably an issue here)

and also is the YBR battery powerful enough to run the heated grips without degrading the performance significantly (the new YBRs dont have kick starts, and id rather avoid bump-starting it if i can, also, the headlamp on my YBR isnt the brightest thing out there, and i tend to do a bit of night riding, so i wouldnt want a dim headlight at all)

also, is there any secrets to waterproofing my waterproofs? my pants and boots are just about ready for some spraying, but is it ok to just buy any old tin of waterproof spray, or is there more method to it?

any other winter riding tips would also be greatly appreciated when im warm and cozy

thanks in advance

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Handle bar muffs wont keep your hands dry. I can show you this by just saying this.................your hands are going to get wet when your putting them on. lol. just buy some good thick water proof gloves. job done.

Heated grips..........i cant say if they will drain more power out of the bike as i have never had them nor wanted them, again, just buy some good warm gloves.

As for water proofing your gear, yes any stuff will be good enough but the cheaper stuff may see you re-applying it more often, me on the other hand have long term borrowed some high vis pull over water proof pants from work. dose the job good enough for me. and they where REALLY cheap

Hey there,

It's my assumption that heated grips will affect the performance of a small bike in some way. I see a lot of people enquiring about heated grips for a YBR, but I haven't see someone commenting on actually having some fitted. Also, they won't do anything to keep the rain off your gloves.

I'd agree with Noise - get a good pair of gloves. I've recently invested in a mid-range pair of gloves and they work well in the rain and cold so I'd imagine more expensive ones must be even better. I also find flexing my fingers helps to keep the warmth there a bit.

If gloves aren't good enough for you, then personally I'd look at some muffs for a YBR. They aren't the most flattering piece of equipment, but as long as they keep you warm and dry - who cares? You also aren't going to risk affecting the little performance that's available to you.

You can get some good waterproofing from bicycle and hiking shops which will allow you to wash you clothing and re-proof it at the same time. When I used to mountain bike, I would use a waterproof spray to pop on my cycle shoes. That worked well, and again is readily available from the same shops.

With my helmet, I use Rainx so the rain beads off the visor. I used to use that on my Mini's windscreen as the wiper blades didn't do anything. If you really struggle with fog then Rainx also sell something which you can use on the inside of your visor. A clear visor is one less thing to worry about with a poor headlight on those dark mornings!

Safe winter riding - I'll also be commuting on my YBR this winter. :icon_cheesygrin:

Muffs - never had some but they work very well by all accounts. People always get them to fit somehow. Keeps hands dry and warm (out of the wind).

Heated grips - Don't keep your hands dry but warm up the fingers a little. The battery should be OK and switch them off a few miles from your destination to get the extra charge back in the battery. Fingers still get cold enough to make you want to cry. As witnessed by me each January.

Gloves - Get proper winter gloves. Simples.

For proofing - Nikwax. Get cleaner and proofer double pack. LINKY Dont wash anything in soap powder, ever!!

Just another top tip which always warm my hands up as im too stingy with buying new gloves (summer gloves are all i have) when my hands get too cold i just stick them on the exhaust or the barrels at traffic lights to get them back up to temp. and your gloves stay warm for a few miles :D

But don't blame me if your gloves melt to your hands if you keep them on there too long lol

thanks for the replies guys!

seems like some proper winter gloves are the way forward, and then muffs if that isnt enough. my current gloves are indeed bottom end, and seem to be designed to protect my hands if i crash, rather than keeping the rain out

i also found another problem, which proofing my gear might worsen:

the rain tends to sit on top of my thighs (good waterproofing on the trousers), but then the wind pushes the rain up my legs, under the jacket and into my clothes (a hoody at this time of year). my instructor also showed me his jury-rigging attempt, where he cut an all-in-one suit halfway up the torso, and he now wears that over his armoured trousers in winter to keep the rain off. now, i dont want to invest in an all-in-one just to cut it up, so are there any trousers (armoured or otherwise) out there that are high enough up the body to protect from the rain?

and finally

i didnt expect the heated grips to somehow keep my hands dry, but it might stop them going numb once the temperatures in the UK get below 5*... but holding them against the engine block at the lights sounds... interesting :P (YBR is naked, and i dont fancy turning round to reach the exhaust)

thanks people!

When it's peeing down, I put this on over my clothes - http://www.rocketclothing.co.uk/WATERPROOFS/ALPINESTARS/Alpinestars-Quick-Seal-Out-Jacket-and-Pants/prod_3168.html

The trousers give you a nice 'old person' look - they hitch up so high on me - half way up my body. They are elasticated too, so you can pull them over your jumper to keep them dry.

They don't have any protection, buy my clothes under this do.

Plus, if I pack them up well enough, I can actually pack them into an Oxford X1 micro magnetic tank bag, along with a disc lock, house keys, phone and credit card. So nice and easy to take with you on a changeable day.

can anyone suggest a pair of reasonably priced winter gloves? ideally a pauir that has been tried and tested in the wet stuff

thanks!

LINKY They should last for years.

LINKY They should last for years.

look nice!

a little steep, but its better to have warm hands and a light wallet :) shame about 2 weeks for dispach though, ill see if anywhere else has any in stock

my HELD gloves just arrived, £100 plus undergloves for the really cold weather

ill test them on the way to work soon, see if they're worth £70 more than y last pair

I'm sure they will work wonders for you!

I have a pair of summer glovers (£60), and have recently bought some winter gloves. They were only £80, and they keep me warm and dry.

Think about it this way; you wear the gloves every time you're on and off the bike, Depending on the lifespan of your gear and how often you wear it, the more you pay, the more you get out of it in the long run and you definitely feel like you got your moneys when if piss cold and wet outside, but you're warm and dry underneath.

Heated grips work best with lever guards, something like this; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZETA-XC-HANDGUARD-SHIELD-ENDURO-MX-COVERS-MOTOCROSS-BARK-BUSTERS-/200730304408?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2ebc755f98#ht_791wt_778

it'll help deflect airflow off your hands, while the heated grips do their work. Of which i recommend the oxford hot grips light; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OF698-OXFORD-LIGHT-HEATED-ELECTRONIC-HOTGRIPS-GRIPS-MOTORCYCLE-SCOOTER-MOPED-HOT-/350494138983?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item519b142267#ht_3245wt_778. While they don't blaze too hot, they draw a smaller current but keeping your hands warm but not getting them hot. Again your best investment of course is really a thick pair of gloves.

Get a good snood, help keep your head/neck warm and only costs a few quid. and some Nikwax; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikwax-TX-Direct-Wash-In-Wash-in-waterproofing-for-wet-weather-clothing-/300747221351?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sports_Clothing_LE&var=&hash=item4605ee6967#ht_1853wt_1094 to keep you waterproof gear waterproof - pretty self explanatory stuff, just throw your gear and the additive in the washing machine.

Don't forget Michelin Pilot Sporties / Conti Gos for added grip on the roads.

If you're having more issues with the cold, you can buy a heated gilet for £20 from Maplins and heated gloves from Oxford, and when in a pinch i throw on of these in my boots; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Gel-Reusable-Hand-Warmer/dp/B000MU4IJ2 if you're spending hours on the bike at a time, out and exposed. I suppose i've shown my hand at being a southern wuss at this point, but i hate the cold and i love my bike!

the gloves work a treat, especially with some undergloves.

thanks for al your input, riding through the cold and wet is now much more comfortable!

• 2 weeks later...

ok people, im looking for some handguards to fit to the YBR , ideally to deflect some of the cold wind off my hands, so i can go longer before they get cold.

ive also found a few of them out there with LED DRLs (Daytime running lights) built in to make me a little more visible, and i like the idea of those as well, but the only set ive managed to find that can be shipped elsewhere than the USA had great big gaping holes in them, so they'd be no good for keeping me that bit more comfortable

has anyone come across any handguards with LEDs, that will also have enough structure to protect my hands? ideally ones that fit easily without having to cut up my existing grips would be nice (most with LEDs seem to fit by running a bolt into the bore of the handlebar and tightening it by expanding it, but the YBRs grips cover the bore, and would need cutting open, which is a faff)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online