My first geared bike

This post is 4286 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi , I have just bought my first proper bike (40 years too late), SR125 1995 vintage with less than 7000 miles. Are there any points I should look out for, I bought it knowing it is officially only good for about 55mph, but lots of reviews I have read say you can get 60mph easily and some have claimed 70mph. Is there anything I can do to get 60-65, I will not be racing about but would be good to know I could do it if I wanted to. I dont pick up till Saturday so not Ridden it yet. Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome mate " :jossun: your SR maybe good for 60+ , wait till you"ve tried her out , is it from a dealer ?,,, if not check it over before riding,,

Hi and welcome! I'm new to the forum as well. I have an 1991 SR125 and manage to get up to 64 mph on level roads although it can be almost impossible to pick up any speed on an incline.

It's a brilliant bike to own though. All I have done to mine is service it with new oil/filter, spark plug, and cleaned/re-oiled the air filter which is fairley cheap and easy to do yourself.

All the best,

Michael

In the higher gears, don't whazz the throttle open and expect much. Instead, gear up as appropriate and, at the top end, gradually increase the throttle over about a minute or two. It will take more time, but you will accelerate and end up cruising at a higher speed, without over-revving the engine too!

Same trick works for most sensible 125s.