Dragstar 650 snapped throttle cable

Toutsuite
This post is 4215 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

How easy/difficult is it to replace the (main) throttle cable if anyone knows? Anyone have any instructions anywhere? Mine snapped this afternoon :madflame: but thankfully it wasn't far from home and I managed to rig the cable to an old screwdriver and limp home!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Lucky you to be close to home.

Not realy that hard to change out take the screws out from the bottom of the throttle housing it will open up in half then remove the cable from the throttle tube,,,, then un screw the cable from the housing.

At the carb you might need to remove the air cleaner to get access to the throtle plate rotate it untill you have room to remove it from said plate.

Either remove gas tank and put it back as found or tape new to old cable and try to pull through.

Hook up the throttle housing first but not the tube then hook up the carb then tube ... adjust to remove free play with the adjuster

Thanks for the response mate. This might be a bit beyond my current dyi skills, so I think I'll just bite the bullet and get a mobile mechanic to install it for me. Cheers!

Well I gave it a go myself in the end; was wary of removing the tank, but it was not too hard to do. However, there's a problem with the new cable in that the washer thingy that fixes to the switch/throttle housing with a small screw is the wrong size and shape. First time Wemoto have let me down... Will be on the phone to them tomorrow.

Well I've managed to somehow rig the cable on, despite both the bracket that attaches to the switch housing and the metal u-bend on the end of the cable being the wrong size. Wemoto are trying to source the proper cable for me. At least I can do some riding in the meantime...

...except I won't be because I'm now getting mid-throttle "hesitation". One f*cking thing after another! Could it be the cable not quite fitting properly? Something somehow got up the fuel line when I removed the tank?

Ah that was entirely my dum dum... :eusa_doh: removed the airfilter housing before taking off the tank to see if I could squeeze my fingers under there and save myself the trouble of removing the tank. Didn't put it back on quite properly so the air intake didn't seal with the filter assembly. Hence the loss of power. The engine got either too little air or too much. But basically I rode around for 25 miles with the engine partly sucking in unfiltered air! What a doofus! :bag:

But once I put it back together *properly*, the engine and performance were to back to normal, i.e. great! Just hope I haven't done any damage... :unsure:

Oh one more thing: if you need a throttle cable, get an OEM one. The ones Wemoto sell aren't quite the right fit. The small bracket that screws into the switch housing is different (it won't fit), and the metal u-bend thing is too small to acommodate the master cylinder / mirror assembly. You can jury-rig them on, if you're desperate, but it's best to get the OEM for this one. Wemoto were good about it though, they'll refund the cables once I send them back! And all the other stuff I've got from them is great!

Not fitting is always a risk with aftermarket parts. Even very expensive accessories.

Yes, I'm sure they're cheaper and Yammie ones cost a bomb, but... In the long run OEM is often far better, too.

• 2 months later...

Ah that was entirely my dum dum... :eusa_doh: removed the airfilter housing before taking off the tank to see if I could squeeze my fingers under there and save myself the trouble of removing the tank. Didn't put it back on quite properly so the air intake didn't seal with the filter assembly. Hence the loss of power. The engine got either too little air or too much. But basically I rode around for 25 miles with the engine partly sucking in unfiltered air! What a doofus! :bag:

But once I put it back together *properly*, the engine and performance were to back to normal, i.e. great! Just hope I haven't done any damage... :unsure:

Oh one more thing: if you need a throttle cable, get an OEM one. The ones Wemoto sell aren't quite the right fit. The small bracket that screws into the switch housing is different (it won't fit), and the metal u-bend thing is too small to acommodate the master cylinder / mirror assembly. You can jury-rig them on, if you're desperate, but it's best to get the OEM for this one. Wemoto were good about it though, they'll refund the cables once I send them back! And all the other stuff I've got from them is great!

OH OH just ordered a cable from Wemoto, hope mine fits :shakeno:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online