Has anyone tried chrome spray?

DirtyDT
This post is 4290 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As the title really.

I have a chromed front mudguard which was painted yellow. I am in the process of stripping it and it has a certain patina in places (light rustng). Although it is solid and worth re chroming in the future, I am in two minds as to leave it for the short term or give it a couple of coats of chrome spray.

Any views?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Tried chrome spray before, always been disappointed with the finished result. Tends to be duller than chrome, more like the finish of an old silver teapot, or the colour of the forks on my old dragstar

P4100044.jpg

Used it when renovating my rear shock, came out ok as you can see in the pic, Cant use lacquer over it mind, as it dulls it completely

shockp.jpg

img0064lvh.jpg

What a great idea for shocks ...how well is it standing up to dirt NEV

HYCOTE, Chrome Look, I got mine from my local Trago Mills for £3.59 a can, Halfords will probably be about £6 quid I reckon. Same tin as is on my bench in second pic.

Seems ok DT502001, not really had it off road mind, but normal road crud comes off no probs, sprayed on my other wheels spokes , they came out much better aswell.

Tell ya what Dirty, don't know if it wll be any better than spray for your mudguard, but I bought some FABLON chrome vinyl on a roll other week,more of a mirror finish than the spray, but possibly a pig to fit, I don't know, but cost a quid for a 450mm x 1000mm roll.

img0689r.jpg

..................I got mine from my local Trago Mills.............................

Doesn't he play for Exeter Town?

.......Tell ya what Dirty, don't know if it wll be any better than spray for your mudguard, but I bought some FABLON chrome vinyl on a roll other week,more of a mirror finish than the spray, but possibly a pig to fit, I don't know, but cost a quid for a 450mm x 1000mm roll.

Cheers Nev but I can't do "art & crafts". I can see me ending up kicking it around the garden in frustration.

Doesn't he play for Exeter Town?

Cheers Nev but I can't do "art & crafts". I can see me ending up kicking it around the garden in frustration.

Maybe not the mudguard then but how about the fork stems?

And its Diego Mills plays for Exeter City

The stanchions will end up at pittedforks after September for some hard chroming. I have one set broken down ready to go already. The fork lowers have had a few coats of hammerite silver. Did them yesterday.

i found that chrome paint goes dull and ends up looking like brushed silver or grey :(

Came across this Dirty, thought it may interest you mate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lG6O5lvhm8&feature=related heres their website http://www.customcre...hrome-p-32.html

Admittedly the kit looks expensive to buy, but maybe find someone that actually does this ttype of chroming might be cheaper, it certainly looks the finish you're after.

Very interesting Nev. I don't think it is for me although there would be cash to be made in doing this for some custom bikes.

I am still undecided. I can get a high level colour coded plastic mudguard for £40 delivered and an OEM chrome cable holder for £20 These were fitted to the USA and late models. I can't even find a picture of my model with the wheel wrap around mudguard, but they were fitted to them. The M/guard does make the model look dated so I guess that everyone wanted a high level one to give the bike that "modern" feel.

There was a dented NOS one on ebay a while ago for £200.

The key to the chrome paint, sprayed or not, is to buff it like it wont reach climax ;-) IYKWIM

with a chamois or duster cloth as soon as its dry throughout. If you do that, then any dirt it gathers can be washed off and then buff it up to a nice shine everytime.

Of course, it needs to be a decent brand, Hycote being one of them.

As for the roll stuff, also very easy to maintain, easier than you think to apply, even on curved surfaces, BUT... one stone chip and it needs replacing as it is essentially paper so it tears.

On the subject, anyone ever covered their bike with fabric of some kind? Seen a few with leather covered faring but thinking of doing something more... unique... One major con would be rain obviously, but I only want to use my bike in the sun B-)

............On the subject, anyone ever covered their bike with fabric of some kind?................

Fur?

leapard1.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online