125 belgarda runs then dies

This post is 4314 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all,

so i roke down again, this time i was riding along the rev counter dropped and the engine just died. I got my mate to pick me and the bike up in his van got her home and stripped her down cleaning carb new plug fresh inline filter and gave the battery a good charge. I put everything back on switched her on and she fired up no problem i started to put my gear on leaving her to warm up and just as was at running temp the engine just died and wont start again.

Is there anyon who has come across this problem before? previous to this break down she has been running very well its about 700 miles since the rebuild and has plenty of compresion

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I had it running twice yesterday after the break down both times ran for a bit then died, both times I changed the plug for a new 1, but both times there was a cooling down period which would obviously allow her to start again, I'm guessing your directing me towards the coil breaking down or possible bad earth? After a late night last night I cleaned the carb an checked the breathers, checked the tank breather the internal filter and changed the in-line filter, there is plenty of compression, cleaned the air filter. Tonight I had planned to plough my way through the electrics.

Agree with Paul, the rev counter takes its cue from the cdi, if that drops at the same time as the motor then the cdi output has gone and that means electrics.

Best of luck with it they can be a bastard to trace, could be as simple as chafing on the wire to the kill sw, the loom by the headstock could be a target as well as the coils, myself i'd start with the pick up coil and work from there.

The good news is its getting more frequent so it should be easier to find.

See if you can beg steal or borrow another CDI to test it, but first check the genny output, my 250TDR destroyed 2 last year and 2 reg recs and blew 2 sets fo bulbs in very short order, summat had gone wrong and it was putting a very high voltage out of the genny, had been fine since i replaced the genny

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I have tried another coil which I know works and it does the same runs for a small amount of time and then dies, there's no spark even with a change of plug. I have cleaned all the earths up. Any other ideas people??

Pulse coil, including connections and wiring would be next for me.