1982 XS250 starting issues

Quantam Wookie
This post is 4339 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

So our 2nd car blew up and I decided to return to a bike. Finances being what they are I shopped around and found an XS250 for $400. Plate says it is an 82' and my mechanic say it is an RK, but is has the weird fishtale behind the seat and I thought this was off the SE.

Anyway enough rambling. The bike allegedly only sat idle for 6 months but was started every few weeks to keep it fresh.

Snapped clutch cable replaced. Pod filters fitted (Airbox was missing any couldn't source a new one without selling my soul), new fuel/oil filter, new plugs, new lights, new battery and general tiddy up. A can of liqui moly 4t fuel system cleaner and then I took it to the mechanic for a tune and blue slip. All good and now rego'd. Problem is it is easier to win a head butt fight with a billy goat than start my weapon! Choke fully on and bike just turns over but won't start. I have to keep trying and eventually it fires up after sometimes as much as 3 minutes of trying! It did initally surge a bit on the road at full noise but now since cleaning the fuel cap breather and adding the liqui moly that has stopped. As soon as it has started and is warm the choke goes off and all is well in the world.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Ben

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ben

Burn it.......

Only joking mate, but I had one of those back in the day. 1981, my first road bike and it had the same problems you are having. This thing had points ignition and I would be renewing them every month in my attempt to get a bike that would start. At the end of each day, I would be the last guy out the work and my right leg would be aching with the amount of kicks it would take to finally start.

The heap of shits only saving grace was it got me through my bike test

I think you have the DOHC model.

these bikes don't like standing so the carbs foul up. usual thing is to strip 'em down and thoughly clean them. putting on pods exasperates the issue as you will be running lean. a size up on mains won't go amiss when cleaning carbs.

just give the bike a tune up and you'll find starting a lot easier.

An intro/hello in the newbs section won't go amiss too

make sure you take the spray bar out, they have little holes which clog.

the pilot system is very sensitive too!