enduros under 33bhp?

This post is 4329 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Dt125, ttr 250, dt 175mx if you like old school. A wr250 may just be under. In fact there must be loads! Plus I suppose you could restrict any bike?

If you like two strokes a dt would be good. If you want cheap reliability, I cant recommend a ttr 250 enough.

Dt125, ttr 250, dt 175mx if you like old school. A wr250 may just be under. In fact there must be loads! Plus I suppose you could restrict any bike?

If you like two strokes a dt would be good. If you want cheap reliability, I cant recommend a ttr 250 enough.

aye i have a DT right now, id prefer something with more power tbh.... something that pulls a tad more... i was thinking WR.... anything above the 125's are more enduro focused... but im not sure if they fit the rules and regs of under 33bhp... anyone know the WR250 bhp output?

Have you taken your dt off road with some proper knobblies? They're pretty good. If you want more poke for on the road, then fair play. A wr will be alot lot more to insure for a 17 year old though. A quick google should bring up the power of a wr.

If your are going to race enduros then a dt will be no good. A wr250f would be good to get you going or if its to be a 2 stroker then maybe the ktm 125exc or husqvarna 125, both are great bikes but arnt really designed for the road and would need regular maintenance.

Id probably go for a 250 4 stroke tbh, just because they should eb that bit more reliable.

There is a power to weight ratio allowance but im not sure what it is, i used to know someone who used to ride around on the ktm 125 and never had any trouble.

Thanks for all the replies, i guess i should have mentioned i was thinking more enduro racing :s i think im gonna go for the wr250f, from what ive heard all the ktm (husaberg) are over 33bhp (legal limit) even the 125s :eusa_shifty:

have a look at Rieju pro marathons, doing well in comps, yamaha ttr race engine in as standard, sherco built frames. should just keep you under the 33hp if tou go nthe 250 model.

I think the Rieju uses a WR engine not a TTR. As much as i love my TTR i think it would be disapointing in an Enduro, even in a posh frame.

Aye you could be right, The Rieju SMX I had, had the TTR engine in it. regardless though the Rieju pro marathon is a decent piece of kit.

Youre right, I know of two people with them and they are both very very impressed. They are the cheapest brand new enduro bike out there, and on paper have all the right ingredients. They both have 450s.

drz-e? Could be worth looking at and may be around 33bhp, best of both worlds. Good on the trails but with the enduro spec cam and few other bits.

I would have thought the wr250f would be similar power to the ktm 250excf? Id prefer the KTM tbh, cheaper parts and cheaper to buy in the first place! Jap enduro bikes seem too pricey to me.

Drz e is over 33bhp by quite a bit. Plus they're heavier than a John Deere. My dad has one, he makes it work, but it is very heavy.

Ktm will be a more focused machine, but id go for a wr all day over ktm four banger. They need less maintenance, bits are cheaper, and they dont go wrong like the Austrians do.

Having said that the next bike I get will be a ktm or gas gas 300 two smoke, cant beat a two stroke for smiles.

KTM's dont go wrong unless you dont look after it. Admittedly pre 2001 ktms and gasers are to be avoided, especially 4 strokes. Id still much prefer a european enduro bike over a jap, they dominate the competition throughout europe too, i wouldnt say the jap bike needs less mantenance either, id imagine them to be similar unless its the wr250r and not the f?

I still stand by jap parts being dearer than ktm. Yes a drz is a bit of a pig but will go on for ever with barely no mantenance compared to an out an out enduro bike but would be just as much fun if you decided to go green laning as it wouldnt be as snappy.

Havn't read if anyone else has mentioned it but the Yamaha DT200WR or WR200 is a 200cc 2 stroke very similar to the DT. Can be seen in my signature. Go for around 1k on ebay. Under rated bike! 33bhp they are exactly i believe. I'm still yet to get mine running.

Plus one on the WR/DT 200. However if I had more money than sense id blow it on a dt230 lanza.

Proper modern suspension, good power, and electronic traction control that actually works!!

Shame a decent one is nearly 3 grand.

Ktm service schedules are more regular than yam, and need rebuilds more often. While the bits maybe marginally cheaper, you need them more often. I know of bikes of similar ages, similar use and by the book maintenance, and the lads that moan the most about cost are the ones in orange.

I just wish yamaha still made a decent road legal two stroke.

Thats interesting, i know people who own 525s and have well over 15k on the clock yet when they checked the barrel and piston for a renewal they were still like new. Admitedly a 2 stroke will need more top ends but the modern 4 strokes they make seem pretty decent to me.

They cant be that bad as most people who ride off road seem to have one (only annoying thing imo). Compare the prices of 2nd hand wr 450s to a ktm, its ridiculous how much more the Yams fetch when they arnt better at all.

I agree, i wish the jap manufacturers still invested in 2 strokes.

I like the idea of a two stroke greenlaner. I.find them more fun. Easier to work on, and less expensive parts to go wrong. Ok. I admit. I love two smoke.

CRM 250 could be another contender? The mach 3 or AR are the ones to go for imo

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online