Real World Gas Mileage

This post is 4352 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm a new rider. Picked up a 1982 Maxim (XJ650) for my first bike. I'm loving it and have picked it up quickly...riding that is. My question is, to those of your that have Maxims, what's the real gas mileage and tank size? My manual claims the tank will hold 3.4 gallons plus .9 gallons for reserve. I don't believe that one bit. So far, I've only been able to get about 100 miles before my bike concs out and I have to switch to reserve. When I fill it, it barely just barely will take 2.5 gallons. I think I'm going to run it dry in the next few days to see how long my reserve will last me. Any advice is appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

HI Jmartin, I have a Maxim Midnight 750 and an XJ (SECA) 750 and I get about 200 miles on a tank plus about 25 on reserve, it all depends what tank has been fitted to your bike, for instance on the XJ it has a large tank but the Maxim has one of these stupid little things that looks like a tear drop and only holds about 2.3 gals so as a consequence I have to fill it more often than the XJ, you can fit any of the PRE diversion tanks to your bike to increase the milage, but you will have to put up with filling up more often if your have one of the daft chopper tear drop things. My suggestion for what it's worth is to go for a bigger tank off of one of the 750 models I believe in the US you call it the SECA, that is about the only other option you have I'm afraid. If you have the manual for your bike look at the mountings for the tank, at the front you have 2 either side of the frame near the headstock ( with rubber covers) and 1 at the back under the seat with a mounting bolt, so if you go for a larger tank just make sure it has the same 3 mounting points and you should have no problem. Hope that helps? :jossun:

P.S. you should be getting about 60 to 65 MPG when you don't thrash it!

I think you will find that the 3.4 gallons is inclusive of the .9 gallon reserve, so the fact that you are only getting around 2.5 gallons in when you are filling up after makes sense.

0.9 + 2.5 = 3.4 gallons