Security advice - anchors, chains and disc-locks

Cylindric
This post is 4371 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello folks.

My new Yamaha turns up in a week or two so I need to turn my eye to securing it. I live in a rented house, and don't have access to a garage, so the 'easy' option is out of the running.

I do have a parking bay with space for my bike, but can't really dig a hole in it for a concreted in anchor, unless I try and get away with one of those u-shaped ones that's flush to the surface - not sure the council would approve of me digging up the King's Highway though ;)

The bay is adjacent to a wooded area though, so as far as I can see I have a couple of options: I can use a chain around the nearest tree (that would be a 4m chain, to get there and back), perhaps buried a bit for concealment but otherwise non-intrusive, or I could dig a hole, fill it with concrete, and sink a standard anchor into it.

The problem as I see for the "lazy" tree option is that the chain is pretty long, so could be prohibitively expensive, and also it's just lying out there, with loads of opportunity for leverage etc.

If going for the buried concrete block option, does anyone have any recommendations for a decent anchor? It's only a little (but new) YBR 125, and it's generally a pretty safe area, so it's not worth spending £2000 on ironmongery, but I don't want to just give the bike away either!

I assume one of the post-like anchors is better than bolt-down plate, as I can just sink it into the wet concrete.

Regarding the chain and padlock, I guess I just go for a decent brand claiming to be insurance-approved or something? Or are there particular features to be aware/weary of? Web searches for these sorts of things seem to result mostly in shop-sites, rather than reviews. Same for disc locks.

Apologies for the rambling question, and thanks in advance :)

Cyl

FVTbD.jpg9UxFm.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Use something like a Kryptonite anchor and an Oxford hardcore chain.

LINKY of ANCHOR

It comes with the drill bits and you drill three holes - which you can hide with sand when you remove it. Good in concrete, not tarmac. Don't use the antidrill ball bearings that fit in the top of supplied rawlbolts. The plate coves them and the hoop folds so it is less of a trip hazard.

Don't forget that if you have said to an insurer that you use a lock and you don't use it - for example when riding out - then the bike may not be insured for theft.

If you can afford an Almax chain then go for it, brilliant pieces of kit.

How do I create a permalink thing to all the long posts I keep writing about these common questions?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online