Hi from Shrewsbury

This post is 4387 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks, sorry my first post on here is a question but I have been loitering in the forum as a guest for too long.

Ive decided that its time to resurrect my DT. Ive ridden bikes since I was tall enough to get on one I had a chopped down c50 at 6 years old, followed by a series of miscellaneous field bikes, until I was 16 when I got my first road bike - a Simson comfort... Wow Didnt I think I was cool. been through a few since then, a series of mopeds the tattyst CG125 to ever pass an mot, a cb 100 wich then became a CB/CG. First big bike was a Z550 followed by a cbr 600 then RF 600, 1996 Fireblade ( still kind of miss that one ) now the proud owner of 1999 GSXR 750 anyhow a couple of years ago I decided id like to do some off roading and purchased a DT off ebay. its a 1980 model but has a 175 top end on it. with memories of my old 125 DT field bike romantically filling my head I had the generator rewound, replaced the wheel bearings and it passed its mot - great....

then I got about 11 miles from the mot centre and it blew a hole in the top of the piston. Unfortunately the restraints of family life meant its sat in my shed for a couple of years but Ive just taken the engine to some local guys for a rebuild.

Next is to try and figure out why it blew up, Im not very knowledgeable on 2 strokes but I have been pointed in the direction of the carb and its jetting

It has a Minuni carb fitted 2H501

Throttle slide cut away - 2.0

Needle Jet 2490 0-0

Main jet 160

Pilot Jet 25

ive looked through the forums, seems that a 2H500 carb (im assuming its the same as a 2H501) should have a 249 0-2 needle jet and a 130 main jet can anyone please tell me if this could have caused the piston destruction

seems I also need to check the air box and its type can anyone help with identifying it?

Is it possible that it has the 125 box fitted, I guess this would restrict the airflow.

sorry for the long post and thanks In advance.

Once its up and running id be interested in meeting up with anyone local to Shrewsbury if they fancy a bit of green laneing or light enduro stuff. went to watch the Tough one at Nantmawr Quarry a couple of months back - inspireing stuff loads of clips on youtube

Thanks again

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks, yeah I guessed that and re posted in the workshop forum.

Going to dig the rest of bike out the shed this wkend, I can just see the right hand bar and if I crouch down there is a little of the rear tyre visible so I know its still there :rolleyes:

just re read my post, and was thinking back to the Simson, I had to go on line and check that It was how I remembered and for anyone interested thought id share this image

simsoncomfort.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Welcome to the YOC mighty mule, good luck with your project someone on here will have a fix or work round for you I'm sure. :jossun:

What a friendly lot you are, thanks for the warm welcome Cynic has been helping me out all last night and today, given me some good insight and dispelled a few worries. I have spent most of today digging out the bike - took 2 runs to the tip !!! I gave it a quick wash and put the battery on charge in the hope it may still b ok. ill keep u all posted

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online