DTR 125 COIL

NEV
This post is 4384 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Recieved a new coil today, advert on Ebay it said its for a DTR apparently, but its different from the standard coil, as it has 2 male spade terminals on it instead of one, it did come with an earth lead, with a female connector one end and a ring connector for earth, the other end of the wire. But its got me headscratching as to which wire goes where, obviously the orange wire from the CDI goes to one spade end, no idea which one mind, as the plastic insulators that the spade end is set in, are both the same colour, as for the earth wire, does this go on the other spade end? and if so, which spade? or does it get earthed by the bolt bracket as same as a standard coil? I'm presuming Orange to one the earth to the other spade, then earthed by the bracket to the frame. Has anybody else fitted one of these coils before, because I haven't a clue with this one.

So am I flogging a dead horse, and need to send it back? or am I worrying about nowt, and can fit the wires to any spade end?

Cheers Nev

newcoil.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Aye ta Paul, I'll have a play with it tomorrow.

Rang up the people I bought the coil off earlier, they say the Earth wire can go on either spade, as can the Orange feed from the CDI, aparently the older coils that earthed through the mounting bracket, got rusty and was prevented from making a good earth with the frame.

60mm between mounting, 2 spade terminal and earth wire

UPRATED COIL WITH EXTRA EARTH ADDED FOR A BETTER CONNECTION.

These are quality part, These are not cheap replacements they are very good quality at a very low price.

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649

Ah right, an update on the coil, it came the other day like I said, rang up about the the two spades on it, they told me it was ok didn't matter which one the earth went on, o.k fair enough, never heard of that but gave them the benefit of doubt, yesterday I compared another original DTR coil to the one they sent, and fook me, the hole centres in the new one are about 6-7mm bigger than the original DTR coil, luckily I hadn't stripped everything off to put the coil on, as I would've been well cheesed off.

Rang them up to explain this and they said it said 60mm centres, obviously you wouldn't know the centres of the coil unless you were to measure them, and also I pointed out to them that the picture on Ebay is an actual DTR coil with the single spade for the Orange wire, and not the one they sent me, so after umming and arring from them they've agreed I can send mine back for a refund, they did want to swap for a different one, but told them I'd already ordered another genuine DTR one.

So basically, don't bother trying to fit it, as it just wont fit, get it sent back.

Hi

Had the same problem, took the path of speaking to seller, (seems to know his stuff) Guys name was james.

What the company has done is made a coil with an extra earth, not only allowing the bike to earth through the body of the coil but also via an extra wire. I understand why he has done this becouse this is what usually causes failure.

HOWEVER

They assumed we all had a high level of mechanical knowledge and didnt think to give any idea of fitting instructions. They have promised they will from now on (whether it happens or not is another thing).

This is all you need to do.

The orginial wire on your bike goes to LEFT, AS YOU LOOK DOWN AT FIXING BOLT.

The terminal above fixing bolt can be ignored of connected to earth.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online