New Member Intro

This post is 4412 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi There, I am 63 years old and live in Brisbane Australia.

The last time I rode a bike was my Honda Dream back in the late 60's.

I recently purchased a 2009 Yamaha XVS650 Classic and I am riding it around the the back streets where I live (unlicenced) but intend to go on the LAMS course to get my RE licence (I let my Motorcycle Licence laps back in the 70's)

My wife is very concerned about the dangers on the road these days and I must admit I am a little worried also but I figure if I ride defensively I should be OK.

Bikes and accessories have changed enormously since the 70's and the options appear endless.

I know I will be visiting this site often as there appears to be lots of information which will be helpful and entertaining.

Comments and advice would be mosty welcome.

Thank you

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Bri. :P

Were the same age, ;) although I'm not 63 til next month. (the same day as the/our Queens)

A few non bike related questions,

• What's the official retirement age in Aussie?
  • Do you get a decent state pension?
  • What is a LAMS course?
  • What is an RE licence?

"My wife is very concerned about the dangers on the road these days and I must admit I am a little worried also but I figure if I ride defensively I should be OK."

I think all wives/mums are different, mine encourages my son (27) and my daughter (20) to travel on the bike with me. Even though my son has fallen asleep on the back of the bike on the motorway, and also fainted whilst on the back fortunately only doing 40mph.

BUT, she will not get on the back of the bike herself. :(

Hi Brian. Welcome to the forum.

It isn't about age, it's about keeping young. Just ride something that you can (normally) handle.

Mike - My birthday too is next month. Squeezed between HRH's and St Georges day.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your comments

The official retirement age in Australia varies depending on the year you were born. 1949ers retire at 65

I dont know how much the pension is as many people in Australia contribute to a pension fund over many years and live of that when they retire. There are those who do take a state pension but I have no idea how much it is.

As far as the types of licenses are concerned this link should tell the story.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Motorcycle-safety/Learner-Approved-Motorcycle-Scheme.aspx

I am looking for a windscreen and crash bars for the xvs650 but I am undecided what kind of windscreen I should get and how big/tall it should be.

Thanks to Airhead and DirtyDT for their welcome....much appreciated