Tzr 50 (am6) idles fine, doesn't rev high or clean

thesickness
This post is 4400 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm in the process of breathing some life into a very abused tzr50 that in all honesty was fit for the scrap yard!

Its been a long process, but eventually feel i'm getting there..

From no electrics whatsoever because it had been left outside in rain, electrics and lights now work.

Couldn't get the thing started, no compression, fitted a new barrel + piston now starts!

really starting to look like a nice bike, its been in bits, lots of new paint, it's going to look a cracker when done.

Been tinkering over the last few days and got it to start and idle fine. Now it does not seem to rev much past 4000rpm and does not rev clean, tried altering screws on carbs every which way but loose but still no joy....

Any help would be gratefully recieved, very new to 2 stroke motors!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 1 month later...

I had similar problems with mine at first.

Have you changed the Plug - Mine looked fine and seamed to spark fine outside the head but it just didnt work properly.

A well as the plug if could be the Coil pack, lead or cap causing lack of revs.

Have you stripped the carb down and checked main jet size - my is stock and someone had fitted a #125 in and they only have #88 in as standered.

Change the Fuel filter and fuel line - My filter was blocked and lines was corroded .

It might be none of the above but thats what i had to do to get mine reving properly. Mine only revs upto about 9k im not sure if thats right but i runs fine

those am6,s are good little motors, i had a priller rx50 a couple of years ago derestricted it would pull me (no lightweight) at an indicated 50 mph on the flat , knowing italian instruments it was more like 40/45 and that was with the standard zorst, i had a powerpipe off a scrapper i got for spares but never fitted it