Engine Cleaning - was trying to search for old post

exess4
This post is 4428 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I was doing a search trying to find a post that had great info on engine cleaning tips. Particularly getting between the fins. I recall one guy said he used gun cleaning brushes but that seems a bit harsh!

In XS400 forum I found the one with Houghmades bike pic http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4783&highlight=polishing (seen that on YOC as well) and this from Hough:

"What didn't I use....Carb cleaner, brake cleaner, Simple Green, Comet, Aluminum Polish. Fish tank brushes helped to get between the fins. The scrubbing cleaned up the jugs to a nice "as cast" look. Lot of wet sanding and then hand polishing for the side covers."

I have the valve cover shined to feaux chrome finish and it's beautiful but it will look really odd to leave it at that and have a shiny bald-look motor, HA.

Does someone know where that post is or better yet good advice on best method of getting entire engine to look as new as my valve covers now do. Best method to get between the cooling fins and that. THaNKs!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, Back in the day we used a round wire brush on the end of a drill to reach inside the fins, don't know if you can still get them or where they might be but used to be about 4 inches across and 1/2 an inch wide, didn't last long as you can imagine but worked a treat most of the time, try a hardware store NOT B&Q or Homebase they are crap on odd stuff but some where that stocks proper tools and such. Hope that helps?

:jossun:

Wonder if electric toothbrush would fit between fins, I brush the manual way :)

I just took the head off and am going to try out some kind of brush using the drill. About now I guess I should have a dremel.

I have a dozen pack of bronze bristle gun cleaning brushes but not so sure I want to try that and would have to get in the fins to more finely polish the scratches out anyway.

I owe you guys an apology, I was CERTAIN i saw that thread on YOC because I would spend so much time here. I found the gun brush cleaning method and it's not even a Yamaha :icon_sad:

http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=97579

I'm still not convinced that is a great idea.

ANYway. . . . . . . . decided to use available resources and 4ott steel wool grabbed nicely onto brass gun brushes, and some brown rubbing compound. Partway there, could be better and prob thousand ways to clean between fins. Vapour blast would be best!

Still wondering what detailing thread i saw with that pic of forementioned bike.

Earlier and now.

DSC00086.jpg

DSC00087.jpg